3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: I gave the GSPs a little more flow with the powerhead, and they are loving it :). However, this has caused the rhodactis mushroom to completely close up... Will it adjust? I can move the mushroom rock, but I don't have much space in the front of the DT that doesn't have a pretty good amount of flow. It seems that before, the mushroom was happy, but now that there is more direct flow and all the other coral is happy the shroom is deflated.

Btw, I'm going to add a light timer for a reverse fuge photoperiod, and a turbo snail for the annoying glass algae (and hopefully the turbo will help with the gha too.) My nerites sometimes nip at the algae, but they never eat much of it.

Also, If you're wondering why I'm not worrying about nitrates or phosphates for the gha, I've already checked them (zero and zero). I hope is helps!

Dingus could you explain how the refugium on this tank works and what exactly it does? I'm thinking about converting my 5.5 gal into a nano reef pretty soon. Also how quickly does your water evaporate and how do you deal with it?

Dingus could you explain how the refugium on this tank works and what exactly it does? I'm thinking about converting my 5.5 gal into a nano reef pretty soon. Also how quickly does your water evaporate and how do you deal with it?

The fuge, for me, has three basic functions. It adds a little more water volume (always good for keeping params stable), houses some chaeto (absorbs nutrients/helps with nitrates), and provides some extra mechanical/chemical filtration (it has purigen and carbon.)

It basically is just a hob "breeder box" used as a refugium, and IMO works really well for a fuge under $35 :)

For your other question, I do topoffs before and after school with 4 turkey baster-fills of RODI. Depending on your location, temp, and humidity, the evap rate varies but for a tank this size top offs are good to do twice a day. Hope this helps!

What type of tank do you have now? Saltwater, I assume?

The 5.5 is empty right now, and I've been maintaining a 55 gallon freshwater for a while. I thought doing a nano reef would be a more manageable way to familiarize myself with saltwater (plus I love the way they look and already have the tank laying around.) I was also curious if your light came with the tank or did you buy it separately? I've had trouble finding any at my local fish stores that would work well. And do you use moonlights?

The 5.5 is empty right now, and I've been maintaining a 55 gallon freshwater for a while. I thought doing a nano reef would be a more manageable way to familiarize myself with saltwater (plus I love the way they look and already have the tank laying around.) I was also curious if your light came with the tank or did you buy it separately? I've had trouble finding any at my local fish stores that would work well. And do you use moonlights?

Cool! I had pretty much the exact same story when I started this tank. It's so fun!

The light came with the tank, the JBJ picotope, and unfortunately I've been unable to find the whole fixture for sale separately. For your tank (a 5.5g), I would probably recommend the 4w or 8w 14000k skkyelight clip on (I've heard it's a pretty good light for nanos), or a par38 bulb. Both of those options will set you back about $60, but IMO that's a pretty good deal for lights that can handle lps.

Btw, I do have a moonlight and I love it :). It's amazing to see the corals lit under actinics.

Important question!

A friend who is moving offered me a candy cane and hammerhead frag, but I don't know if I should take it! They are moving this Monday, so I need to reply asap. What I'm really asking is, could I keep these frags alive (in this tank) for a while? I know my light isn't suitable for lps, but I'm just wondering if I could take the frags until I found a new owner for them or gave them away.

Thanks for any help!

Hello! I've not been updating this this thread much lately, but I have a little update now. I'm getting a bunch of lps frags tomorrow, so come back tomorrow night to see pics!

Awesome tank build bud, I just read through all the pages and now I'm gonna have to add one of these to my house! One thing I noticed, you posted a pic of a small asterina starfish on one of your snail shells. Be careful of those little guys as I've read in multiple places that they mess with different corals, Acans & other LPS especially.

Keep it up bro, it's looking awesome!

D

Thanks guys! Btw, I've been very closely watching the asterinas, and so far they've even crawled over my acan but havn't eaten anything (but I'm still monitoring them.)

Mine usually stay in one spot on the rocks. Btw, please feel free to check out the photobukcet album, as I just finished gluing a bunch of frags to the rock!

I saw it! Love all the corals. I'm about to post a new topic with all my corals. I'm shooting for a zoa,paly, mushroom garden.

Yeah, it hitchhiked on the rhodactis' LR, and has been spreading ever since (very annoying!). Recently, I have started pulling bits of it out, which has made a little improvement. I have tried different things, such as changing the photoperiod and adding more snails. But it just keeps growing! Any suggestions?

Btw, my phosphates and nitrates are at 0.

Back
Top Bottom