3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How fast did it grow?

Wow, I haven't seen this photo in a while! I guess it has grown some, but it felt like the onto change was it expanding and opening up after it's tough shipping experience. Really, it's kind of hard to judge how much it's actually grown bc it varies so much day to day, but I'd say a somewhat safe estimate is around 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter.

Wow, I haven't seen this photo in a while! I guess it has grown some, but it felt like the onto change was it expanding and opening up after it's tough shipping experience. Really, it's kind of hard to judge how much it's actually grown bc it varies so much day to day, but I'd say a somewhat safe estimate is around 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter.

Thanks! What website did you order from?

Thanks bribo! Appreciate it! It's producing tons of little baby yumas, I think I'm going to start sending them to people for free soon :p. No kidding, I thought it'd be cool to send them to people while they're still kind of small. Do you know if young corals are as hardy as larger ones for shipping?

Shipping is made easier with as much water as possible to ship. Then add in insulating to prevent temp spikes, with ice packs or heaters depending on where it is going.
Only DOA coral I've received was a milli that poked a hole it the bag and enough water out for it to die off...then flip around so water was around it again. The smell was awful. But then again, this was my only experience with 2 day shipping rather than overnight.

I would think so. I got a small ricordia from online that was fine until the shrimp took it.

:lol: thanks for the tip

Most shrooms are indestructible or close to it ime. But I've never shipped coral so I don't know for sure.

Thanks, good to know! There are 3 young Ricordea that are in various stages of tentacle development, but really as soon as a week or two from now I'm going to be looking to give them away. Don't really want to sell them since they're so small, but I don't really have room for them to grow either.

It's ok if you guys don't have experience with the classifieds section, but is this kind of offer something I could post in that part of the forum? I would love to give away some free frags, I've been given a few myself :)

Thanks! What website did you order from?

Happycoral.com, everything else form them has been in great condition. I would recommend, but honestly the reason I chose them is because of the discounted Illinois shipping.

I would try and give them away locally because shipping is expensive. I'm biased as I don't trust the usps (had an overnight that took 3 days to get there and cost me 7 frags I was sending out) and FedEx/ups is around $30 for overnight

Shipping is made easier with as much water as possible to ship. Then add in insulating to prevent temp spikes, with ice packs or heaters depending on where it is going.
Only DOA coral I've received was a milli that poked a hole it the bag and enough water out for it to die off...then flip around so water was around it again. The smell was awful. But then again, this was my only experience with 2 day shipping rather than overnight.

Thanks for the info, I've never actually shipped, only received coral. Might you have any insight on what would be a safe, cheap way to cool the package? I only have the traditional cold packs that are kind of expensive to be put into every box.

I would try and give them away locally because shipping is expensive. I'm biased as I don't trust the usps (had an overnight that took 3 days to get there and cost me 7 frags I was sending out) and FedEx/ups is around $30 for overnight

That's a good point about shipping, it can be expensive. I guess there's always a risk with shipping, sorry about your shipment, at least this one won't be too big. Still considering... Just thought it'd be cool to pass on the offer on AA first :)

Man, how this tank has changed and grown since I started following way back, in... Wait January? If I hadn't seen it I would have never guessed it was 5 months old. Amazing.

Thanks for the comment, I'm always amazed to look at the progression of reef tanks, they are constantly in motion, changing. Plus it's always fun to see coral growth :)

I had an idea for a little project I'll be working on tonight, I'm going to be creating a video that shows a steady time lapse of this tank from start to now, I have pictures that span the entire time I've had this tank. I can share the link if anyone is interested!

Thanks for the comment, I'm always amazed to look at the progression of reef tanks, they are constantly in motion, changing. Plus it's always fun to see coral growth :)

I had an idea for a little project I'll be working on tonight, I'm going to be creating a video that shows a steady time lapse of this tank from start to now, I have pictures that span the entire time I've had this tank. I can share the link if anyone is interested!

That would be cool to see! :)

Glad to hear your enthusiasm :) I'm sorry I haven't finished the video, all my backed up photos from Dropbox are still downloading on my worse than slow internet. I'll most likely have the video saved and uploaded to youtube by tomorrow. Thanks for all the support!

Working on video now! Right now I'm stitching everything together, should be uploading in a few hours, then I'll post the link.

Link to the time lapse... still in production with various captions, but here's a working video :)

Thanks! I thought it was interesting to see how corals add depth, they make a tank seem bigger and bigger as they grow and more kinds are added.

Back
Top Bottom