3 (us) gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw a 3 gallon tank at a local bargain shop, it was cheap enough but will it be any good for nano reef?

I've never kept reef fish before and I though this would be a good start, or is it too small to be managable?

A 3 gallon tank can be used as a reef tank but I would recommend it as a coral and shrimp tank only with no fish... Even that depends on the type of filtration that is in the tank.... Do you have any pics by any chance.

Didn't think to take any pictures, will get some next time I'm in town

Would it be manageable for a complete noob?

A system this small will experience temp, salinity, and overall parameter swings much faster due to the small body of water. If you've never kept saltwater before then i would highly reccomend starting with atleast a 20 gallon to give you more room for error. Also something to keep in mind when dealing with nano and pico tanks is don't even waste your money on a hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer.

Yeah I don't see why not... I know people that manage a 2.5g with no issues... Provided you have a good filter and maintain weekly water changes... I don't see any issue as to why you cannot... But once again I recommend NO FISH in such a small tank :)

Thank you for the advise and I wasn't looking at getting any fish (after giving it some thought)

I've been reading this is there anything else worth reading?

Thank you for the advise and I won't get any fish

Is there any reading material you can recommend?

Look through aquarium advice's article section and you should find some articles that'll point you in the right direction. If not then just come back and ask the forum.

You'll want to read up on pico systems. There's a lot of information, and quite a few examples of successful systems. They are a lot more work, but can be stunning.

There r a couple books that r about nano/pico systems.. I'm at work now but i'll get the titles to you after i get off today.. :)

3 gallons for a beginner is not gonna be easy. Parameters can change so fast and the slightest mistake could wipe your whole tank. From a beginners stand point 3 gallons is far from ideal. As suggested i would learn with atleast a 20g to make it much easier on yourself but thats just my suggestion. Good luck.

I've been doing my research and I think a 3g tank will be too much for me as a first reef tank, not only that but I would like a couple of fish as well.

I've been doing my research and I think a 3g tank will be too much for me as a first reef tank, not only that but I would like a couple of fish as well.

Yeah, 55g or 75g tanks are very good beginner sizes that will allow quite a few fish options. As with most any reef tank lighting will be your biggest expenditure.

Back
Top Bottom