30g Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just figured i would set up a thread for me to ask question and get some Ideas you guys have. I am setting up a 30g nano reef with 20g sump/refuge.

I just got everything cleaned this evening and hope to bring it home tomorrow. Waiting on my Equipment i ordered online and then attempt to drill 3 bulkhead into the back of the 30g. **Cross My Fingers**
i will keep this thread updated. I dont have a camera anymore got broken in the move. I hope to get one soon.
Frogspawn

well guys, got everything home. Equipment will be here tomorrow, and i think i changed my mind on the bulk heads i purchased. I think i may have bought the wrong kind for my returns so i am goign to buy some new ones. i currently have a 150w current sunpod but dont like it to well because it dont provide any other type of lighting, so i think of switching to a lighting more along the lines of corallife aqualight 150HQI MH 2 x 65w PC, have you guys any any experiences with this light? marine depot cut their prices in half for this light and i though it might be a good deal
heres the link

Coralife 24 Inch Aqualight Pro, 1x150W HQI MH Lamp + 2x65W PC + 2x1W Lunar LED

i thought maybe getting something with True Actinic might be a good idea. as for my sunpod i was going to place that over my refuge section in my sump, so i might be able to place fraged corals i get in there or i may be inclined to trade it for some frags. has new light bulb i just purchased.
i looking for drill bits now to cut my tank with, so once i get them the operation will begin.
Today i was going to start my DIY sump/refuge so i will takes some pics and post them this week as the project goes along.

Not good news guys,
i just recived my new drill bits and today attempted to drill my tank. watched several videos and read a few websites on how to do it. Didnt work out to well. the hole top left side cracked and now its runined. So now i thinking of going acrylic 30g easier to drill. any one know or have any comments on acrylic tanks befor i buy one?

Don't have any suggestions on acrylic because I don't know much about them except that they scratch easy.

One thing I wanted to throw in here is that I suggest having a professional drill the holes for you. I'm not saying your bad at this stuff and haven't done your research because i'm sure you have. Just saying it will save you a lot of time and stress having someone do it for you.

As Ben said, purchase the tank already drilled because most professionals or lfs' that drill after the tank is purchased won't guarantee anything if they crack the tank. As far as acrylic companies there is Truvu, Castco, and Tenecor or have a local acrylic builder/"reefer" build you one. Yes, acrylic does scratch easier than glass, but glass scratches as well and at least acrylic can be buffed out.

yea i found a nice tank i like here

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...~view~idProduct~AT2351~idCategory~FIAQSP.html

But now i need to find a good stand for it. its 24inch long and my current stand is 20x20 so i kinds screwed there. i looking into building my own stand and when my new tank arives here i am tanking it down to the glass shop and having them drill 3 holes in it for me. i am done trying to do that. that mistake just cost me 400.00 :( LOL

and Innovator thanks for the names i am searching them now.

Sucks cause my GF just bought me a digital aquatic reefkeeper elite controler and a new light. now i got to wait yet again lol

Clear-For-Life is another good brand, I forgot about them. With acrylic you can drill them yourself without the shattering effect of glass. Just don't put pressure on the holesaw when you drill, let the drill do the work for you.

Yea you read my mind innovator i just got the 30g and its being shipped here so i hope to have it in a week. now i have no stand and dont know what to do for one. i have a metal/ wooden computer stand i am thinking of putting it on. seems pretty solid to me. i dont know if i want to attempt drilling again. i be to scared to. when i did the glass the bit jumped around at first till it got a hold any then was fine. i thinking of taking it to the local glass shop and having them use a drill press to make sure it straight and no issuse happen.
any one know ow to make a stand? i be afraid it would not be strong enough and brake.

heyguys, i have an idea. as you may know my 30g glass broke while trying to drill it. so i just bought a 30g acrylic tank with the measurments of 24x14.5x24. i have a problem i dont have a stand for this new tank so i was thinkning of putting it on top of my old aquarium stand that measures 20x20. i know that leaves 4 inch short but if i place this new tank in the center thats only 2 inches on each side. now, i know i cant just leave 2 inchs hanging over the side so, i was going to buy some thick MDF board from lowes and place it on top of my previous stand that measures the correct size of my new aquarium. think this will hold up? maybe even get some strong L brackets to help with the support

everything came in the mail today just waiting on new aquarium 150watt HQI 14,000k 2x65watt PC
2x50watt heater,
1inch bulkhead strainer,
2x1/2 spray nozzles for my 2 returns
my DA Elite controller
Ev-120 skimmer
mag 5 and 7 pump

Back
Top Bottom