4g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here it is the PAR38 From OCreefs

Its 6 Blue, 4 White, 2 Green. I am 100% satified with the way the light makes my tank look. However its ability to grow coral is still in question :)

Its alot brighter in person, Its bringing out colors really well and I am very pleased with it.

img_2132845_1_9f4bf829d8883c2a69d05dbd9d3fab43.jpg

Have you tried moving the bulb away from the tank? How much heat does that bulb put out?

What's your general feelings about this tank so far? I'm seriously considering setting one of these up myself.

A fan blowing across the surface maybe? What kind of pump is in that?

I had a heat issue with my 8 gallon and I upgraded to a pump that's made for colder saltwater tanks and that helped out a lot. I forget the name but if your interested I'd be happy to research it. It's a company that specializes in cold water tanks.

And btw... Tank looks awesome.

Have you tried moving the bulb away from the tank? How much heat does that bulb put out?

What's your general feelings about this tank so far? I'm seriously considering setting one of these up myself.

Personally I love it so far but then again iv only had it a few days. I love the design and the amount of water the pump puts out. I would recommend it to anyone wanted a nano. The tank is nice and clear and cleans up easly. I like the fact the stock light has a moon light setting and is on a swing arm because i just swing it out of the way when the main light is on and then back at night when i turn the main light off. Its the perfect size for what I wanted and I cannot wait to get my corals and sexy shrimp in it.

I currently have "Beast" in the tank whos my fish I keep my QT cycled with. Hes a tough little bugger and is always happy to help me cycle a tank lol.

Current Test Results

PH 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .25ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm

With heater unplugged my tank sits right at 81 degrees, Id like to get the heat down to 80

Sounds good. I may just set one of these up myself! I really like the idea of having a nano reef as more of a frag tank than reef.

Looks awesome...kind of wish I had one..will definitely consider having one in the future! Even my 100 gallon system in all (includes sump) heats up to 82 with the lights, prob. b/c my external pump...Good luck with the temp! Love seeing your tank progress.

Sounds good. I may just set one of these up myself! I really like the idea of having a nano reef as more of a frag tank than reef.

Honestly thats what Im doing with mine in a way. Im going to let corals take over the rocks then when they have ill remove the rocks, put them in display, and restart.

Yea that sounds like a good idea to me also. I'm seriously thinking about going out and picking up this tank Tom! Watch for my build thread! Haha!

wow...My tank is already cycled. I did a test today 0 ammnia 0 nitrites 5 nitrites. I did use all live rock and sand so that probably helps.

I did change my rocks because the other ones were infected from my 75g (long story) so i put some in that is 100% pest free base rock from my 40g thats only ever had base rock in it that was dry before going in. I put a frog spawn coral in the pico after dipping it to see how it does. will be keeping an eye on it. The coral hasnt been doing very well for months so I am hoping the new home will do it some good.

img_2134030_0_95429a64a94c6f35765ab2c46392be5e.jpg

did my first fragging today. Fragged off 3 different types of zoas to try to create a small zoa area in the Nano. also added my duncan to the nano. I plan to target feed it now and I hear they grow like crazy when you target feed them.

tanks mini cycling so had to pull my corals out ><

Edit: take that back must of had messed up readings last night. I had a reading of 2ppm ammonia and today its at 0 nirites at 0 and nitrate us at 10ppm

Picture Updates

Heres some updates of the tank.

Added my 4 sexy shrimp today, 2 are out and about and 2 are still hidden. looks like 1 male and 3 females. Also took pictures of all the current corals that will be in the tank. The upper rock will be coming out when the tank has had more time to mature enough for me to remove it.

Some of the corals look bad because they got a pretty intense dip before being moved so they arnt as happy as they could be right now.

img_2140864_0_b04d0af2fe0f0e7e9a2218326ac8f37a.jpg

img_2140864_1_5a67187174af1a30b61976c8995a5a3c.jpg

The two sticks will be in there while my 75g cycles.
img_2140864_2_23cffff3b62be9ab1f9f67a402ef09e2.jpg

Theres about 4x as many that arnt in the picture of this zoa.
img_2140864_3_977f3561d562bac07a9ec5db6b39bf23.jpg

img_2140864_4_0ece3ea8f3529f1337776972b9e1e2ea.jpg

img_2140864_5_76303eab5405c303143bf4b38a6e3121.jpg

img_2140864_6_0c5843bfedd5203a23cfbae15cba6a59.jpg

lost a shrimp last night... I think i still need to work out some of the kinks. The shrimp are being transfered to a breeder net in my 75g for a few days. I need to figure out a heater problem. Last night its temp got down to 74...so idk if my heater is just really weak or what? Maybe I need 2? also once again its mini cycling...i dont know the deal it will mini cycle for a day then be fine again. Ill just wait for it to be 100% stable.

wonder whats going on with my tank...it shows its cycled then it gets ammonia again then it goes away and comes back. I just dont understand it lol

My pico jumps up just about every time I feed. I just plan a water change about three hours after I feed and it helps. I only have the one tiger goby and I target feed my frogspawn, so i only feed twice a week. These little tanks are a pain but worth it IMO. Good luck figuring out your heater issues. My temp problems are keeping the temp down.

My pico jumps up just about every time I feed. I just plan a water change about three hours after I feed and it helps. I only have the one tiger goby and I target feed my frogspawn, so i only feed twice a week. These little tanks are a pain but worth it IMO. Good luck figuring out your heater issues. My temp problems are keeping the temp down.

My heat is under control now I think via a fan on a timer. there where a few days whrere we couldnt have heat or air on so the temperature in the house fluctuated alot. as far as ammonia Iv got to figure something out =/ My little sexy shrimp have to patients for ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom