5 gal pico build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 5 gal pico ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425130981.755377.jpg been cycling for almost a month with a piece of raw shrimp. Just got my led light (super bright) and I'm getting excited to get some inverts and corals going in this. I not sure if my tank is fully cycled yet. When I set this up I used fully cycled live rock, pool filter sand and then I dumped old saltwater from my rock cycling tank in. Was that a mistake? I never really seen my ammonia go above .25 ppm, nitrites stayed at 0+, and my nitrates were off the chart. I've done a few water changes this last week and got my nitrates down to 10- ppm. Should I continue to change my water until my trates get to 0 or do I let it cycle some more and let my sand cure longer? Any ways, sorry if I'm a lil confusing, just excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do water changes until the nitrates are at 0. It sounds to me like you are cycled. For the record though, try not to use old saltwater in any fashion. There isn't much if any bacteria in the water column, it is built up on your rocks and sand. Using old water is just bringing nitrates into your system.

Do water changes until the nitrates are at 0. It sounds to me like you are cycled. For the record though, try not to use old saltwater in any fashion. There isn't much if any bacteria in the water column, it is built up on your rocks and sand. Using old water is just bringing nitrates into your system.

For future refrence, how long should you let the shrimp rot in the tank? In this tank I put in 1 shrimp the first week and replaced it with another one the second week, I haven't had shrimp in the tank since the second week. Should I have left them in longer?

Got nitrates down to 5 ppm, hopefully can get them to zero after my water change tonight. Doing water changes with io reef crystals and planning on going to my lfs to pick up a cuc, inverts and Mabey some softies?!?! Too soon? What do you think?

Add slowly and be careful with stocking

Ok thanks!! you think I could put 2 nassarius, 2 Astraea snails, 1 hermit and two sexy shrimp in all at once and get my softies or lps later?

Went to my lfs, picked up a small cuc. 4 snails, 3 hermits and a cleaner shrimp! Acclimated for 3 hrs and in the tank they went!!! So far so good. I wanted sexy shrimp but they were out. So I plan on raising this cleaner shrimp in my 5 gal until my 46 gal bowfront is ready (about 2 months away) then I'll replace with my sexy shrimp pair!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426275173.623574.jpgso I have a lot of copepods, will my cleaner shrimp eat them, if so do I need to feed it? Doesn't seem to be cleaning them off the glass.

Hello everyone! Just put some coral in my tank last night. Dendro sun coral, candycane, gobstopper palys, purple tip frogspawn, and a tiny lil bit of gsp isolated by itself so it doesn't take over. Looks like everything Is responding well under my led light!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427042043.897730.jpg

Back
Top Bottom