5 gallon Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ibrahim

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm new to the nano reef and all tips would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to establish a 5 gallon reef with 2 Clownfish (Haven't Decided which kind yet), 5 hermit crabs, 1 turbo snails, 5 nassariius snails, and if possible a peppermint shrimp. As well as 5-10 pounds of live rock, some Zoanthids, Mushrooms, and LPS. Please let me know if this is too much. I may either live sand or black sand mixed with 1 cup of live sand to seed it with. As far as lighting I'm planning on going with a 14" PC 24 w Oddysea set up.

Hi there!

I'm always erring on the side of caution but i think 2 clowns might be a tad much. They can grow to a couple inches. :)

Otherwise your plan sounds great. Zooa's are so easy to keep and they are usually cheap lol

I thought so too. Should I get a 2 occelaris clowns since the don't grow much passed 3". The tank is 16"x8"x12.

:-( that still seems like alot of fish in such a small tank. After rock and sand you'll have like 2.5 gallons of water in there.
You could get one cool centerpiece fish and surround the area around the rocks with colorful corals. Plus you can get a few shrimp, real low bioload on them. I'm working on a biocube myself and it kinda stinks about the number of fish you can have.

edit** I don't mean to be the bad guy, just my opinion. maybe someone else will chime in

I think 2 of any clowns is over your limit. They're all too large for a tank that small as well as just being generally messy fish.

Thanks I haven't bought anything yet. I want to get a mated pair that already are hosting an anemone about 4" that I saw at my LFS. Should I reserve those clown fish(They are a false percula pair) and use a 10 gallon instead of a 5.

You could get away with 2 in a 10g I think. but the nem isn't ready for a new tank. it requires an established tank and lots and lots of light. I had one and eneded up returning him. Also theres no guarantee the clowns will host it. Best to get a coral for them instead. They like frogspawn, mine host an elegenace coral. :-D

NVM I see they ar already hosting it. My opinion stands though, stay away from the nem until at least 6 months to a year.

How would I go about to cycle my nano tho. I have seachem stability. I also have my 55 gallon aquarium which has been running for over 6 mo. I was planning on remove a filter cartridge and putting it straight into my 10 gallon after I add 20 pounds of live sand. Then adding 3 pounds of live rock from my 55 gallon into my 10 gallon and adding 7 pounds of base rock then dosing seachem stability everyday until I get my tank cycled but will this cause an ammonia reading or not because that is what I am trying to achieve in order to start the cycle.

UPDATES- I ordered 7 pounds of baserock today from Bulkreefsupply.com since I heard it was very easy to aquascape with and it was only 2.50 a pound. I also got my 10 gallon tank ready and filled with white sand and some live sand. I just need to add water (which us mixing in 2 5 gallon buckets now). Hopefully I'll have plenty of pics up tomorrow. =)

I know it's pretty bare and not much to look at but I'll be getting 10 pounds of rock around Thursday or Friday. I just added the sand too

I added 3 drops of ammonia today and it reads 8ppm. Everything else is good. I'm hoping it will cycle fast because I am using a large filter cartridge from an existing tank. I may just take some live rock from that tank as well instead of buying uncured rock.

Pics will be up in a bit since I got my new baserock. I also added alot of live sand from my established tank. And i ordered another 8 pounds of base rock.

Everything is at Zero but I have Cyanobacteria which is something ive never had in any of my tanks before. How do I get rid of it

Back
Top Bottom