55L Nano FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am a new Saltwater aquarist and i have started with a 55L Nano aquarium (BRAVE). i've had it for approx 9 weeks now. Cycled it for 5 weeks with a couple of black mollies. Took those out and bought a small cleanup crew, 2 Percula's, 1 Strawberry Baslett, 1 Dwarf Angel and 1 Yellow Cap Damsel. All of which are now dead. Been Through another 2 Clowns until i found a rotting fish in the botton when I did my weekly water change. Not sure how i missed that! It must of been in there for week as it STANK! anyway i now have 2 black molliesin there as i do not want to spend another penny or loose anymore fish until the tank is better. Yesterday when i found the rotten fish i did about a 40% water change and vacuumed up as much of the rubbish as possible. when is it right to add fish again? i am going to do another 20 - 30 % change wednesday!

I would take a look at this article on cycling, you can do it easily without hurting any fish and you will know exactly when you're ready.

Ammonia conversion to nitrate

Cycle your salt tank

Also, in the future I would seriously limit your stocking to a maximum of two clowns. The angel really really needs a bigger tank plus if you ever want corals they can eat them. You can add a bunch of inverts though, they are just as cool as fish. :-D

Good luck, if you have any questions just post, someone will respond I'm sure.

Cichlids, very cool. I have a 125g tank of african ones. Thery are getting so huge I need to upgrade soon to a 200 gallon plus size tank most likely. lol Some can get up to a foot long so they are about half way there so far. hehe...

I was also wondering how beneficial Live Rock is to the aquarium with fish only? I purchased some rock from my LFS but it was dry and on the shelf however they had it advertised as somthing like 'Living Figi Rock'. Its very pale in colour not like the dark rock i've seen where corals grow. I am wondering if i should scrap the old rock i have and order some good living rock? Also i have a crushed coral bed which again was recommended to me however i am started to wonder if i should scrap this and go for some live sand? Any advice would be great.

Back
Top Bottom