5G Nano-Reef in the works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OniTweak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really like the smaller tanks and I'm a huge fan of Clown Gobies and Sexy shrimp so I thought this could be fun.

Equipment
Powerhead(optional) - Hydor Koralia Nano (Mini) Pump/Powerhead 240gph
Hydor Koralia Nano (Mini) Pump/Powerhead 240gph, Fixed Flowrate Pumps > Powerheads > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies

Surface Skimmer - Tom Aquatics Aquarium Surface Skimmer
Tom Aquatics Aquarium Surface Skimmer

HOB Filter - Eheim Hang-on Filter Liberty 100
Eheim Hang-on Filter Liberty 100, For Tanks Under 30 Gal. > Hang On The Back > Filters > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies

Heater - Random 50W that will be small enough to fit

Lighting - Coralife Mini-Aqualight With 1-9W Actinic / 1-9W 10,000K Lamp
Coralife Mini-Aqualight With 1-9W Actinic / 1-9W 10,000K Lamp, 9in Units > Power Compact > Fixtures > Lighting > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies

Salt - Instant Ocean
Substrate - Dry Argonite, seeding from my 14G
LR - Base Rock with Seed LR from 14g

Livestock
Black Clown Goby x1
Sexy Anemone Shrimp x3
Hammer Coral or Frogspawn
GSP
Zoas
Random Rics

CUC
Nerite Snail x3
Cerith Snail x3
Super Tongan Nassarrius Snail x2
Dwarf Colored Feather Duster x2

This is just planned. Let me know what you guys think. Believe it or not I also thought about using my spare 20g tank as a sump. Also give me your opinions on the Goby being in a 5g. It doesn't move around to much and stays really small so I thought it would be a great addition.

you'd just really have to take it very slow and keep up on your water changes. it can work but you gotta be careful and active with the tank.

Don't think that because the tank is smaller with a lesser bio load that it will be easier to deal with. I'll take my 120 over a nano any day. I've had 3 different nanos since I started this hobby and I've taken them all down because of the amount of work involved.

The big issues you run into with small tanks is temp stability, ph and SG. The SG goes up quickly in a small tank due to evaporation so daily top offs are a must. Keeping the temp stable is a bigger issue still. Such a small volume of water is subjeted to temp swings more easily then a larger tank. It doesn't take much to raise the temp of 5g of water.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm anti-nano or anything just don't convience your self they are easier. You have to take care of them daily.

I still have a 15g tank sitting on the shelf that I had set up as a zoa farm with clown gobies and a fire fish, I look at it almost every day and try and convience myself to start it back up. I would have an easier time then most because I have over 240g of SW right next to it and if I had an issue or needed to change water out I could replace it with water from my main reef. Just be aware that you will have to monitor things very closely with a nano. They are awesome little tanks but they demand respect of maintenance.

Don't think that because the tank is smaller with a lesser bio load that it will be easier to deal with. I'll take my 120 over a nano any day. I've had 3 different nanos since I started this hobby and I've taken them all down because of the amount of work involved.

The big issues you run into with small tanks is temp stability, ph and SG. The SG goes up quickly in a small tank due to evaporation so daily top offs are a must. Keeping the temp stable is a bigger issue still. Such a small volume of water is subjeted to temp swings more easily then a larger tank. It doesn't take much to raise the temp of 5g of water.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm anti-nano or anything just don't convience your self they are easier. You have to take care of them daily.

I still have a 15g tank sitting on the shelf that I had set up as a zoa farm with clown gobies and a fire fish, I look at it almost every day and try and convience myself to start it back up. I would have an easier time then most because I have over 240g of SW right next to it and if I had an issue or needed to change water out I could replace it with water from my main reef. Just be aware that you will have to monitor things very closely with a nano. They are awesome little tanks but they demand respect of maintenance.

I'm probably going to scrap this idea soon. My boss's neighbor wants to get rid of a supposedly "huge" tank for cheap so I may be picking it up and starting something. Dunno if I want a big reef tank though. I just want to put some Sexy shrimp in something.

Back
Top Bottom