5gal nano reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shenk418

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I started this nano reef so that I can have a thriving mini reef for my daughter to grow up with. She already spends a ton of time just staring at her nemo. Anyways. I would love anyone's opinion on the placement of my new corals. I just introduced a green star polyp frag, pipe organ frag and a Caribbean mushroom. Already in the tank are a clown goby, ocellaris clown, Condy anemone, and various hermits and snails. The two corals have been in the tank just over a day. And a few of the polyps were open. But now non are open. I know it sometimes takes a while for them to open up. But just want opinions on placement. The green star polyps will have their own rock soon! Also the mushroom will not stick anywhere so I decided just to let it float till it finds a resting place.

Attachments

• image-58055818.jpg
    image-58055818.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4094658654.jpg
    image-4094658654.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2337799748.jpg
    image-2337799748.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2905660681.jpg
    image-2905660681.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image-665804683.jpg
    image-665804683.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 113
Welcome to AA!

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? What are your water parameters? I would start with those items before placement, just to be sure.

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking tank. You may want to read up on nems and there requirements.

Good luck and again welcome

I have a 15w coral sun t-8 fixture. Water ph is 8.2, nitrites, nitrates and ammonia were all at 0ppm last I tested. (I need to test again!)

Seems like light could be the issue here. How long has the nem been in the tank?

Dino, you think the lighting is even enough for softies? I know it is only 5 gal, but t8s are pretty weak. Water parameters look ok, so long as there aren't massive swings (which would be easy in a 5 gal).

Dino, you think the lighting is even enough for softies? I know it is only 5 gal, but t8s are pretty weak. Water parameters look ok, so long as there aren't massive swings (which would be easy in a 5 gal).

I don't think that light is enough for anything in that tank. I'm thinking there's gonna be issues down the road. OP, are you familiar with Par38 LED bulbs? That seems to be a good option for you.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/ecoxotic-par38-aquarium-led-lights.html

And very true 5 gallons and anything goes. Very hard to maintain, evap issues, etc etc etc.

I think generally I've heard the rule of thumb is three watts per gallon? Especially in such a shallow tank? And the anemone is more than happy. I was just curious about the corals. The pipe organ coral started opening up a little more.

I have thought about switching to LEDs and probably will in the near future

I think generally I've heard the rule of thumb is three watts per gallon? Especially in such a shallow tank? And the anemone is more than happy. I was just curious about the corals. The pipe organ coral started opening up a little more.

Well I'm not here to preach to ya believe me and I do wish you all the best but I do think you may want to at least look into and read up the lighting. T8's are pretty weak and I'm not sure in time if they will be able to support those corals.

Good luck though. And I'm sincere when saying it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it might be ok for awhile... but WPG isn't really useful when talking about T8s, or when talking about a 5 gal tank. How long has the nem been there? Short term it might be ok. It is just really tough, to get corals/nems into a brand new tank of that size. Not that it cannot be done... but certainly a 5 gal reef is one of the most challenging tanks to have long term success with.

Agreed! I really appreciate the advice! And LEDs are in the near future!!! And the nem has been there for 3weeks. Was almost pure white when I got him. He's a happy purple now :)

Cool. That is good news.

I think your water parameters are looking good, just keep the top offs frequent.

Zoas like lower flow a lot of times, and I don't think you have too much light for them, so if they aren't opening, look for a lower flow spot.

Those PAR38s would be the perfect option for your size tank when you can make it happen.

Let us know how it goes, and thanks for posting the tank!

What do you guys think of this led fixture? This is more in my range of price.

EVO 12" LED Aquarium Light Nano Marine Coral Reef Cichlid 6x 3W 3 Watt 30 cm

http://bit.ly/125z85m

This looks decent. I'd look around and see if you can find par numbers on it or examples of long term success since I haven't seen this fixture before.

Ok awesome thanks! Just did my water tests. And ph is 8.2, ammonia 0.25ppm (little high for my liking), nitrate 0ppm, and nitrate 20ppm. :/ so partial water change for the nitrate today and is .25ppm ammonia enough to try an ammonia remover?

Back
Top Bottom