5gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have finally got around to my 5gal tank, I have ordered the ballast for my lights. it is just a small one from the LFS, it will house to small comact flurescent lights, both 15watts 6,500K. i know the rule of thumb is roughly 3-4WPG so this will give me 6WPG. this should be more then enough light for corals am i correct? I am unsure of type of corals i will be putting in the tank, i realize i am limited due to size of the tank but it is just a project to work on, plus if any of them start getting out of control i will just frag them and put them in my 30g. So i guess i am just looking for some insight from people who have worked with small reef tanks and any advice you could give me on equipment or stocking? i know i will have to keep up on top ups as well as water changes.

Thanks Matt

What type of filter are you going to use with it?

For lighting for corals you could probably change one of the CF bulbs to an Antinic bulb to help carry along another part of the spectrum.

Roughly, 10-15 lbs. of LR will be good for that to help with filtration.
1" of sand will be nice for the bottom.

Do you plan on adding any fish?

I am curious on the filtration as well. An AquaClear HOB should work out. It will act sort of like a Refugium on the back.

yeah i just have a small AC HOB filter that i had running on my 30gal tank for a couple of months. i will just fill up the filter with some LR. AS for atcinic bulb i am looking for them as we speak online. i am not sure what i am going to do in regards to fish. i will more then likely just put some inverts in the tank since it is so small. would you suggest i pick up a nano powerhead or should the filter provide enough current?

That looks great. If you can get two of them you would have roughly 8wpg and you could have any coral you want! BUT! With a tank that small you probably would not want a expensive coral in it anyways so maybe one would be fine for soft corals and a few LPS.

ok i thought that lighting would be good. and yeah i would be leaning more to the LPS corals but if i get anything i really like i will probably move it to my new 55gal tank that i am just waiting for my parents to pick up for me.

haha, oh boy a 55 gallon on the way. not bad to size up 11x's to a new tank. You will very much love the 55 over the 5. It's much more expensive but so much easier to maintain.

yeah i am still going to do the 5g but the 55g will just be a new addition. i am going to switch my 30g over to the 55g so my fish will have a little bit more room and so i can have some more options in stocking it.

Back
Top Bottom