Adventures in nano-reef land

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blasterx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well it's been about 8 months and I've had some set backs in that time but things are OK. I got a hair algae problem which started back in December that I have been dealing with. More water changes, feed once every 3 or 4 days, cut the lights back to just a few hours a day (which has really hurt my corals over the months) still have some hair algae in the tank clinging to the rocks I remove what I can by hand, one thing I did notice is that it's no longer a deep green now more like a washed out looking green. The thank was over run by it now it's just in patches.

My water parameters are in check 0/0/0 trate/trite/ammo still using RO/DI water that I make using my own unit at home

On a sad note my cleaner shrimp died a few months back tho I never found the body there isn't many a place he could hide especially for 5 months.

My nassarius snails have reproduced and there's at least 30 of them in the tank that I have been able to count at any one time but they are still tiny.

If I ever get that green hair algae out of my tank completely I'll have to get another cleaner shrimp I miss that little guy.
Also I have not added any additional corals because of having to keep the lights off.

Origional thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/my-first-nano-reef-12g-106404.html

next time I should upload to something else so it shows in HD. anyways you can see the green hair and how bad my zoas look, they are all but dead I think they have the pox

Well I have had the lights back on the last week and my corals have really rebounded.

So tonight I tried my hand at fragging! I've fragged two purple mushrooms which I spliced before and let them take to some shells. A piece of my cabbage leather and finger leather, and cut off some of my zoas, about three or four polyps.

I had gloves on for the zoa as I have read they can produce a neurotoxin but did not for the leathers, boy that was a mistake! Just FYI, they secrete a brown liquid that smells really bad and gets in to your skin, now my fingers smell like it.
No matter how much I wash it doesn't seem to come out :(

I'll post pics tomorrow, I don't want to turn the lights on out of cycle.

Almost all leathers will slime up really bad when you frag them. Make sure they are in an area of good flow to help take some of the slime away and it is probably a good idea to run some fresh carbon to take some of that out of the water. Especially in small tanks. Have to take some pictures of the frags for us when they heal up and open again.

One thing I witnessed yesterday is my flame tail blenny take a bite out of my cerith snail. It was on the glass and fell off upside down, snail still sticking out. The blenny darted out of his cave and i saw him swim away with a little white chunck in his mouth :eek:

Back
Top Bottom