All About Saltwater nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
My parents have a 100 gal tank that hasn't had fish in it for probably around 20 years...or more. My mom hates it just sitting in the kitchen, and has said I can have it when I haven somewhere to put it. (I live in a dorm room right now) I've tried looking around on the internet, but can't really find a good website thats all about saltwater and nanos. I think I might want to start with a nano before I jump in with a 100 gal. I have a 10 gal freshwater that I've had for almost 8 months now, and I just have no idea whats different. I know saltwater can be expensive, but I have time to think about it and save up the money. I just don't know what things are required like water changes, how much how often, and just other question like that. It would be better if I could read about some of the easy information and not ask completely stupid questions on the forum.

so what do you do for water changes if you have a poisonous fish such as the volitan lionfish? or what if you have anemonoes? how do you prevent getting hurt? because whenever I do water changes in my freshwater tank, I just stick my arm in and vacuum the gravel with a gravel vac.

Most fish will try to avoid you; however, venemous fish can be herded to one side of the tank with some type of barrier while your hands are wet. Anemones are usually pretty stationary and you are not going to drain the water more than 50% unless your water quality suddenly drops so them being exposed to air is usually not a concern. Unless you are allergic, touching the anemone shouldn't bring any harm to you either. Just to stipulate, being the nano section and all, a volitans would need at least a 75g and preferably a 100g while the smallest specie of anemone would still need at least a 20g-30g and preferably a 40g. I would recommend neither for a beginner.

thats fine. the lionfish was something i was considering for the 100 gal, but thats maaany years away. right now i'm considering a nano to help me decide if i want the 100 gal to be salt, and prepare me for everything that is necessary for a saltwater tank. also, the drs. website says that clown fish need a minimum tank size of 20 gallons, is this true? does that mean that clown fish can't be kept in a nano?

Here is a great starting point for Nano Fish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124. Yes the O clowns need at least a 20G.
I wouldn't use a nano as a reference in order to decide if you want a larger SW tank. The smaller the tank, the less room for error, due to the smaller water volume and more maint. I'd hate to see something go wrong and you become discouraged about the whole SW world.

another question, i keep reading about people using tap water, distilled water, or RO water. can you not use tap water with dechlorinator drops and then all of the salt mixing?

I would avoid tap water , this contains many things from the chlorine , to other things such as flouride and other things that a dechlorinator will not remove . When going reef it is ok to look for less expensive things but remember you get what you pay for and some things you arent bargening for , doing a reef is not the best place to be elcheepo .

Back
Top Bottom