Amphipods? and a quick coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iDream

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello all here at AA,

i don't usually post a bunch, because my knowledge isn't a bunch, but i do enjoy the build threads, and of course the heavy pic ones =]

anyway my question is, i have a bunch of amphipods as my lfs described (who have been extremely knowledgeable and helpful) but they are bug looking animals, up to a 1/4" in size, overrunning my tank, and though they are helpful, i'd like to kill some.

now i also have some(hope this isnt bad) worm like creatures, i don't know how long they are, because they never fully come out, except when i feed my fish do they come out, but unfortunately pics aren't possible, as my camera is quite poor. if anyone could list how to safely kill or ID the worms, that would be a great help =]

i, too, have 2 coral frags in my tank, one is a hammer, and the other i never got to ID it, but i'm pretty sure it's dead, for whatever reason, but it was so cool looking =[ so if anyone can list (with pics) some nice long and flowing type corals for me, that are easy to keep. but anyway my other coral frag has never opened up to what it looked like in the store, no matter if its on the bottom or the top of the rock, so how can i pull that off?

BTW specs =]

Biocube, 14 - completely stock
12 LBS LR
6 Blue legged hermits
6 turbo snails
2 oscellaris, who are great fun and always like to see me =]
1 firefish goby, who is awesome =]

assuming your levels are all good these would be some good coral for your tank.

Torch Coral
(watch out for this one because it's sting has quite a reach and will need a little extra space)

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: White Pom Pom Xenia, Red Sea - Aquacultured
this is a coral that grows like weeds for a lot of people and it very durable. Any type of xenia is. Search for a video of it. The "flowers" on the end will pulse and can be mesmerizing.

green star polyps ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Clavularia viridis)
[/FONT]not going to be long but they are flowing. They will cover rock and have a very cool way of rippling in the waves when you get a good carpet of them. Easy to keep and fast growing.

Plate Coral, Neon Green - Short Tentacle
again not exactly long and flowing but i think you will like this one. The tissue expands and retracts during the day and is a cool coral to watch. You can feed it little bits of shrimp and silver sides. It will catch the food in its tentacles and move it into its mouth. Easy to keep and doesn't need a lot of light but it does take a while for this one to grow.

Hope that gets you started.

i have aiptasia! =[ what do i do?

ive found all the others and i thought they were bad, but luckily all the others ive seen are okay, thank god i thought my tank was going to die out of nowhere =[

whew =] anyway thanks for the site, much appreciated and relieved

thanks for the coral suggestions, since i have nothing right now ill look into the corals a bit more later

thanks! god this site has been so sweet! =]

i will definitely be taking a trip to both my lfs soon to browse some coral =]

and about the coral frag? i never got any suggestions, near the light? far away?

i have aiptasia! =[ what do i do?

When you go to your lfs ask them for some Joe's Juice. It will kill aiptasia and directions are on the bottle. Get them now before they spread.

and about the coral frag? i never got any suggestions, near the light? far away?

That is going to depend on the coral. They all have a little bit different requirements for light and flow among other things. Can you get us a picture of your frag so we can get an ID and give you a better idea of what to do for it?

ill try, thanks a bunch, its spread a bit already, i thought it was harmless so i never thought about it twice

Whats the aiptasia on? I had my first just last week and on a coral plug. I just picked it up (plug) and put some super glue gel over the aiptasia. :vader:

Id suggest starting with some cheap zoanthid frags and see how they do in your tank. Zoanthids are pretty and very hardy. Mushroom corals are also nice...You may want to read up on more elaborate corals before buying them.

Matt

pat, i'm pretty sure my coral frag is a torch coral, looking at the link you gave me. it says that they should be placed on the bottom, but thats where its been and doesnt look half as nice and opened as the one picture, it barely comes out at all =/ so what should i do?

Can you get a picture of it? It would help to get a positive ID before we can suggest where it should be. Also what are your levels, do you have test kits?
If it is a torch, they can be very finicky. Moving them around a lot will probably keep them closed up. After I switched an old frag i had from display to frag tank, it took a week or so to open and another week before it was opening the way it used to. This is true of a lot of similar corals like hammers and frogspawns.

Back
Top Bottom