Andrea's 29 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the one that Genski84 recommended is LED, doesn't hang and will grow most corals correct?

Correct. Maybe not clams but most corals you'll probably end up liking, this lamp will suffice. And I agree with the soft corals. IMO they're prettier and they sway with the current.

I do believe you can mount the maxspect ones and it looks kinda cool too. lol They are I believe $300 though so I suggested the other routes if that was too high.

You should probably add some more live rock. Especially since you are using a HOTB filter. General rule is 1 lb. per gallon. Fill'er up lady!

I'm thinking of getting base rock for the rest of it, is that enough live to seed it?

Sure, some base rock would be fine. It will become live. :) Most people add some base to their live to save on cash.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good deal?

"24" 4 bulb t5 HO light. Needs one ballast replaced they are $15-$20. All bulbs are working fine. Made by Current Nova Extreme. Light has worked great I have used it with only two bulbs actinic and daylight once you replace the ballast all 4 bulbs will work. Light has built in fans and moonlight feature as well. "

I have a current nova extreme and it is a good solid light. i would however be leery of getting one that needs a ballast. Not sure how much work is involved and i have not run across anyone that sells those ballasts.

I have had great luck with running Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping! fixtures, a 24" one is about $100, actually a little less in fact. The only thing I do is change out the stock bulbs for good ATI bulbs. Those fixtures also come with moonlights and a timer for all the functions. I've had a couple for several years now and have not had any issues with them.

The link just took me to the aquatrader.com, not a specific light. Could you retry posting the link?

This is the one I have

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

It has the timer,moonlights and 4 t5 bulbs, Its 89$ on special right now

Like i said, I change out the bulbs they come with for good bulbs which make a huge difference. If you are low on cash you can just change out the white bulbs for ATI aquablue specials or ATI coralplus bulbs.

I always recommend these fixtures for folks new to the hobby, they are cheap and work just fine,. If in the future you want to upgrade you can make the jump then.

Just wondering of anyone knows anything about this kind of light? Would it be enough for my tank? What kinds of corals would i be able to have?

Attachments

• image-1868176464.jpg
    image-1868176464.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3919717307.jpg
    image-3919717307.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 82
Not sure why it posted the pic twice, or why it is so zoomed in, but it is described as "Evo 25" reef capable LED strip light with a Hamilton blue led"

What is the difference between the t5 ho that was recommended before and a metal halide?

A metal halide is much much brighter. BUT there are several drawbacks. The halides are expensive to run as far as electricity and bulb replacement. They also will make a tank run hot so a chiller might be needed and they are upwards of $500.

I still think a t5 would be the way to go in your case.

I got my first led fixture from aquatraders and my friend has their 4 bulb t5 fixture. Both will grow lps and softies for sure.

Back
Top Bottom