Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbartsch

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, so i just recently purchased a green bubble tipped anemone in hopes that my false percula clown pair would host it. The anemone however, went straight for this crack in one of my rocks. It looks healthy to me but it is so deep in there it is completely segregating itself from my clowns. It is also slightly on its side. These two situations also make it pretty difficult to feed. I have been feeding it a brine shrimp or two a day just to coax it out, have photon 24 reefbreeder lights and have my tank at 78 degrees. Specific gravity 2.025. I need to go tomorrow to check my water at my lfs but everything else in my tank has been thriving so it should be pretty ok. I may have some nitrates im assuming (i had a slight hair algae bloom) but that is now under control. Please let me know what you think. Should i leave him be should i move the rock?

Another possibility is that i didnt adjust him to the light properly. The guy at the store said the lights over its tank werent as bright as the reefbreeders. He may be trying to get some shade?

How much do you have the fixture turned up? It will take some time for an anemone to get used to LEDs...even the cheap ones. I would leave it be for a while, and stop feeding it daily. It's too much. Once or twice a week.

Blues at 50 for an hour, 70/70 for 2 hours, 70/80 for 3 hours, 70/70 for 2 hours, blues 50 for an hour is my light cycle

Ill stop feeding him. I had read online that in some cases it can be good but i guess this isnt one of them haha

No 80 sorry should have soecified that. Is that too high? Too low? Nothing in my tank seems to mind but anemones are more sensitive

What i just posted was the blues to whites ratio blue/white

UPDATE: i have been keeping my lights at the lower power for the last couple of days and just this morning the anemone was significantly more spread out than he has been he still has a ways to go before fully opening and his head still hasnt made it out of the crack but he is getting more comfortable!

How long did u acclimate him for? Another thing to understand is that an anemone is going to do whatever it wants. Best bet is just to sit back and wait until he's comfortable.

I didnt acclimate him to the light i think that was the problem so i turned them down. Water acclimation maybe half an hour to an hour

So update. I came back from the weekend and the anemone has moved into a different position. Realy it just moved where its foot was attatched. It still hasnt opened very much. It has been in the tank 8 days now and is a little larger than a quarter in diameter here. Im really just worried because the tenticles are so shrunk up like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393295853.359589.jpg it is still attatched to the rock solidly doesnt have his mouth hanging open. Its just the tentacles

Try giving him a small piece of seafood. Raw shrimp or a small piece of uncooked fish. Or if u have silversides, give it a very small piece. After anemones feed, they tend to open up a lot more.

My opinion is to just let it be for a while. Youve only had it for a short time. Dont feed it, dont move anything, just let him be.

Is it normal though? At night it opens more than it does during the day

Back
Top Bottom