Anemone & coral types for clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be moving my clowns from my 8g to my 15g soon as they are starting to grow and one is becoming the female. I would either like to get them an anemone or a coral to host.

First i do know their is no guarantee that will host an anemone or a coral and might just host one of my powerheads, heater, magfloat, etc but i would like to offer them a choice.

Next is my concern on getting an anemone for the size of my tank, is there one that will fit/be happy in this small of a tank & host a pair of clowns? If so which kind?

Last is some coral types that a clown will host, i have heard/read of many but would like some higher chance types vs "mine hosted" as we all know they will host everything. I do have a small frogspawn about half way down my tank, i also have a small torch at the bottom as well as a tiny devils hand, toadstool & xenia close to the bottom that some have said have worked.

Sorry if i seem scepticle in the ones that i have but in their current home i have most of these corals and they like the corners & powerheads, none of my corals.

Thoughts?

My 15 that they will go to?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398214131.078950.jpg

Their current 8g home. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398214705.904108.jpg

Mine host a large hammer coral and I have two nems in the tank. I must say that they didn't host anything for the first year so be patient! I wouldn't recommend a nem for that size tank though...

Mine host a large hammer coral and I have two nems in the tank. I must say that they didn't host anything for the first year so be patient! I wouldn't recommend a nem for that size tank though...

I don't have any experience with nem's but had to say I really like the way your 15 looks :)

When they are full grown but if u have a good system and nitrates stay low it should be fine!

Your clowns need a 30 gallon tank Minimum!

These are tank bred Ocellaris clowns that from what i have read don't ever get much bigger than 2.5-3". Thoughts on a coral from them?

When they are full grown but if u have a good system and nitrates stay low it should be fine!

Water chem is solid & has been for quite some time, i have read that it takes 2-3 years for them to grow to 3" and by then i'm sure i will have a third & larger tank by then, lol!

Im thinking of maybe a soft coral that they may host as the more i look into it the more i think i don't want an anemone in a tank that small unless i don't spot feed it?

Mine went for 1.5-3" in a year lol. That doesn't look like a normal 15, which if it was a normal I'd probably say it's ok for the clowns but it looks almost like a cube. How long is it? Also, tank raised clowns get just as big as their wild counterparts, idk where that myth came from. But 3" is a full grown occelaris. On a nem it will take up half that tank if you can keep it alive. IMO small tanks and nems never end well. Either the nem dies or it murders all the corals. How about a long polyp toadstool or Xenia. I've had my clowns for about two years and they still don't host anything so don't get your hopes up.

Mine went for 1.5-3" in a year lol. That doesn't look like a normal 15, which if it was a normal I'd probably say it's ok for the clowns but it looks almost like a cube. How long is it? Also, tank raised clowns get just as big as their wild counterparts, idk where that myth came from. But 3" is a full grown occelaris. On a nem it will take up half that tank if you can keep it alive. IMO small tanks and nems never end well. Either the nem dies or it murders all the corals. How about a long polyp toadstool or Xenia. I've had my clowns for about two years and they still don't host anything so don't get your hopes up.

No mu tank is a column that is 14*14*19". I have given up on the idea of an anemone because of the size they get & the damage they can do to themselves and others as you said. I am coming to the same conclusion as you getting some softies with long polyps. I know its a crapshoot on them hosting, just want to increase my odds if it happening, thx fir the info/tips.

One thing that has been recommended is making sure he corals are 2-3 time the size of he fish, thoughts on this or is this another myth?

I feel that's a myth because I've definitely seen clowns host corals much smaller than them. I'd go with a long polyp toadstool for a host. It is also a really nice coral so if they don't host it not a big loss :D

Back
Top Bottom