any ideas on getting rid of this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C4t4StRoPhIc

Aquarium Advice Activist
img_1028465_0_7949d16ca286b33a1c9319c9c18f20f9.jpg

its annoying and unsightly. literally showed up overnight. help? :confused:

Read this article about nuisance algea

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database.php?p=viewitem&dbid=11&itemid=5

IMO one cube of mysis is too much for that tank every day. If it was me I would feed every other day about a cube or maybe for the time being till you get your hair algea under control just half a cube. I`ve been feeding every other day for 11+ yrs now. Your fish will be OK I promise you. Two things I would do is 1) Try feeding a variety of food. Frozen foods are loaded with phosphates which are a fuel for algea. Try feeding frozen, flakes and dried seaweed. Nothing wrong nutritionally with frozen only but it really loads the tank with phosphates so opt for a variety. 2) When you do your frequent PWC`s try to siphon out as much of the algea as possible. Manual removal is important in getting rid of this stuff. I`m hoping that you are using a RO/DI unit for your water as if you are using tap water that might be the problem there. You follow that plan and you`ll get rid of it just like a lot of had to.

Feeding Habits... hair algae

:eek2:WOW !!! that is some overnight outbreak !!!!!
I have had a small outbreak of hair algae and am acting on it, one thing i always do and suggest is to defrost your mysis block and strain it through a sieve or dry it out on kitchen roll before feeding. Alot of messing about i know but worth it as there is alot of bad stuff in that juicy liquid!!
I also only feed my fish every other day on flake and once a week on bloodworm or mysis, overfeeding is the most common problem of most fish keeping problems, love em but dont feed em to death!!
I also dose Vodka into my tank and that really does wonders for keeping Nitrates and Phosphates to zero!!
Lack of flow can also aid hair algae blooms, a friend of mine asked me to look at his tank and I found a major lack of flow, since its been rectifed the problem is going.
Good Luck!:p

thats a terrible waste. i dissagree. how about, the drinking of vodka whilst working on controlling nitrates and phosphates, that make the process go faster! lol.

Back
Top Bottom