Beck's 29g BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05spooln

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I figured I should start a thread on my tank. Not only to get some reviews and good feedback but also for me to see how I'm progressing with this adventure.
Current tank specs are as follows:
29g HQI
40lbs LR
40lbs LS
Also did the Intake Baskets upgrade

CUC:
10 Nassarius Snails
10 Astraea Snails
10 Cerith Snails
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
20 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
2. Peppermint Shrimps
2 Emerald Crabs

Looking for suggestions on some fish. This is what I'm thinking so far...

2 clowns (some fancy ones of some sort not orange And white)

Six line wrasse

Filefish w/ shrimp pair

And maybe one more that's bright and colorful for the wife :) open for suggestions...

This is how we look currently.. image-2739959864.jpg image-2812826239.jpg

I figured I should start a thread on my tank. Not only to get some reviews and good feedback but also for me to see how I'm progressing with this adventure.
Current tank specs are as follows:
29g HQI
40lbs LR
40lbs LS
Also did the Intake Baskets upgrade

CUC:
10 Nassarius Snails
10 Astraea Snails
10 Cerith Snails
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
20 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
2. Peppermint Shrimps
2 Emerald Crabs

Looking for suggestions on some fish. This is what I'm thinking so far...

2 clowns (some fancy ones of some sort not orange And white)

Six line wrasse

Filefish w/ shrimp pair

And maybe one more that's bright and colorful for the wife :) open for suggestions...

This is how we look currently..

Tank looks good! You will probably lose most of your cuc because it is a lot for a 29 gallon. My 20 has 3 hermits, a turbo, an astrea, 2 nassarius and 3 ceriths and I still feel that's a lot. Im probably trading the hermits in soon too. I like Picasso clowns as their patterns are cool. Do you mean shrimp/goby pair :). Make sure to add the wrasse last as well.

Tank looks good! You will probably lose most of your cuc because it is a lot for a 29 gallon. My 20 has 3 hermits, a turbo, an astrea, 2 nassarius and 3 ceriths and I still feel that's a lot. Im probably trading the hermits in soon too. I like Picasso clowns as their patterns are cool. Do you mean shrimp/goby pair :). Make sure to add the wrasse last as well.

Thank you! I've been trying to be patient! Yea I've lost a few of each on the snails and crabs. Sucks but figured it would happen as it was a package CUC. Yea I was looking at the fire fish and shrimp pair? I don't remember it's exact name. Had a little sail on top and smaller than a goby. I was looking at the black ice clowns but it's like pulling teeth with my wife :). Might have to go with just black and white.

Bribo12, where is your LFS? I'm in souther MD and there is nothing down here

I'm right near Baltimore, I go to cte aquatics, today's pet, and house of tropicals. If you wanna drive a bit pacificeast aquaculture is awesome as well. And yeah the shrimp/goby pairs are sweet! Those black ice are pricey haha I have a black and white ocellaris and normal.

I'm right near Baltimore, I go to cte aquatics, today's pet, and house of tropicals. If you wanna drive a bit pacificeast aquaculture is awesome as well. And yeah the shrimp/goby pairs are sweet! Those black ice are pricey haha I have a black and white ocellaris and normal.
Yea can't persuade the wife into the ice :( I've definitely heard of cte and house of tropicals. An hour drive would beat paying shipping for liveaquaria for sure

Yea can't persuade the wife into the ice :( I've definitely heard of cte and house of tropicals. An hour drive would beat paying shipping for liveaquaria for sure

Yeah cte is awesome! House of tropicals is hit or miss for corals and fish. I work at today's pet, it's a small mom and pop place but we usually have some good corals and fish. If you ever get a chance and are on the eastern shore stop by pacificeast. The place is phenomenal and has 1000s of frags and nice fish. My gf lives out that way so I usually stop in on my way home lol. Yeah shipping is so expensive lol but liveaquaria has nice stuff.

Bribo, has to go with black Occ. Save my money for nice coral :). Will be going back to cte hopefully next weekend!

Haha I love my black occy! I may stop into cte after my classes today and see what goodies they just got, always gotta save money for coral! :)

the tank looks really good, and yeah most of your cuc will die off but thats just nature, and the clowns look great they remind me of my caramel clowns i currently, theyre so playful and carefree its just awesome.

in a 29g you can have that pair of clowns and the 6-line wrasse for sure, a benggai cardinal would look good as well, a purple orchid dottyback or an indigo dottyback to for blues and purples, if you can find a candy hogfish or yellows and pinks, or some blue reef chromis as well just watch your feeding portions and nothing will outgrow your tank too fast youll have some good years of enjoyment out of them.

Last edited:
the tank looks really good, and yeah most of your cuc will die off but thats just nature, and the clowns look great they remind me of my caramel clowns i currently, theyre so playful and carefree its just awesome. in a 29g you can have that pair of clowns and the 6-line wrasse for sure, a benggai cardinal would look good as well, a purple orchid dottyback or an indigo dottyback to for blues and purples, if you can find a candy hogfish or yellows and pinks, or some blue reef chromis as well just watch your feeding portions and nothing will outgrow your tank too fast youll have some good years of enjoyment out of them.

Thanks Big Tex! Trying to make this my prized possession for sure. Trying to be patient and take all the right steps and try not to overreact. Really screwed up my last tank as I wasn't patient at all and really new to the hobby. Yea just trying get some real bright and colorful fish and coral. Baby steps though...

Thanks Big Tex! Trying to make this my prized possession for sure. Trying to be patient and take all the right steps and try not to overreact. Really screwed up my last tank as I wasn't patient at all and really new to the hobby. Yea just trying get some real bright and colorful fish and coral. Baby steps though...

thats the best state of mind to have in this hobby, baby steps and doing alot of research and alot of reading, ask all the dumb questions you can because theres only one way to learn lol i know i did alot when i first started i did alot of research and alot of following builds and asking very "duh" questions for about 6 months before i actually setup my tank and started things off and im a very impatient person to top it off so trust me when i say patience is the key and taking multiple opinions into consideration and choosing whats best for YOU and YOUR tank (y)

Back
Top Bottom