Beck's 29g Seahorse Tank(Project Pony)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05spooln

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Guys!
So to get my wife more involved or at least interested, I've decided to do a Seahorse tank. She rides horses so this is a plus ?. I've done some research but ANY input or advice is accepted and greatly appreciated. We shall call this "Project Pony". I currently just have the following and need some opinions on lighting, skimmer etc.

29gallon w/ 10gallon
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415231094.097265.jpg

Nothing is drilled yet but thanks to a fellow member, we have decided to go with a 20 long for the sump build.
I plan to drill and run probably a corner overflow with just one return. Hopefully get some gorgonians in there and maybe a few select softies.

Thanks for looking and please let the input pour ?

So I think I will take the mh from my BC and use it for this tank. I'll prob put a kessil on the BC. As for circulation, I will also transfer my koralia 240 as they really don't need strong current. I'm not sure about a skimmer as I'll prob just do a weekly WC. Any other ideas or opinions?

You want to aim for low flow in them so you don't blow the seahorses around.

Why such intense lighting for a seahorse tank? Normally, I've seen two different ideas with seahorses. Either a macro algae tank or a softie tank, neither of which require so much light. This provides the seahorses lots of stuff to anchor themselves as they see fit/comfortable.

Well the lighting can be adjusted but my idea was to use the mh for gorgs. Yea I agree with the flow which was why I would switch mh 240 out of the BC and put a mp10 in it. It's a 29 deep so I do have some room to play with for sure

Hank I think I can get prob 14" of the water with mh. I don't have to use it just an Excuse to buy a kessil for my BC lol.

So, when you say mh you don't mean metal halide for lighting.
In terms of the mp10, sometimes I feel my enjoyment of my mp40's turns into a shameless plug...but they are great units. I would start them off pretty low and slowly feel out what will work for the seahorses. Some of the modes, like tidal swell, might not be that ideal for them.

I'm sorry hank, you're misunderstanding me. I have. 29 BC with a MH fixture and in that I have a koralia 240. My original plan was to take the fixture and powerhead out of the BC and use it in this tank. That way I have an excuse to upgrade the BC to a Kessil and mp10. Like I said I don't have to use the MH for the seahorse tank but it's an option. I know the potential for gorgs would appreciate it as I want photosynthetic

But you don't have to go as strong as MH for gorgs...all they are are star polyps on a stick. Proper flow is usually the biggest issue for them, not lighting.

But you don't have to go as strong as MH for gorgs...all they are are star polyps on a stick. Proper flow is usually the biggest issue for them, not lighting.

Not true. They actually have fairly high lighting needs. If he already has the halide why not use it? The ponies won't care. It's only a 150 watt halide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Bribo! If it doesn't work it doesn't work but would like to try it before I spend money on another fixture. I know the flow is crucial for both coral and ponies and feel confident with the PH I have. If not I can add another 240 and just play with the current to where it's a happy medium. Low flow for ponies and moderate for gorgs

Update:
I have the plans drawn up for the 20gal sump finally! I will be running a 1" bulkhead and 1" plumbing, corner overflow, sicce 2.0 pump, and prob the smaller skimz skimmer. Just need to wait til January 1st (wife's request) and I can start! Any other suggestions?

Update:
I have the plans drawn up for the 20gal sump finally! I will be running a 1" bulkhead and 1" plumbing, corner overflow, sicce 2.0 pump, and prob the smaller skimz skimmer. Just need to wait til January 1st (wife's request) and I can start! Any other suggestions?

GFO reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom