Beginner who wants it right!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys well I'm a noob to saltwater fish and decided best way to start is by going small, although parameters need checking more often ect the cost is low if I don't get it right.

Here is a list of things I have/on its way

A Kent nano bioreef 94l tank including power head, 200w heater, protein skimmer and 3 stage filter.
A hydor koralia 900 as an additional power head.
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Api Saltwater master test kit

Things I still need to get are live rock, live sand/coral and fish.

Going to take this project nice and slow being a noob and wanted some advice.

1. Is the list I got any good?
2. How much live rock will be needed for this size tank if live sand is used or if not? I've been told about 25kg, is that about right or overkill?
3.is there anything else I should get/ take into consideration?

Thanks guys. Pics will be uploaded over time. :)

Well tank has come today and I must admit it looks rather sexy. Can't wait to get everything else and get it cycling! Will take some pics later, the kent bioreef got a good review from a reputable fish keeping magazine over here in the uk which swung me as I was concidering the red sea max or the aquael reef max but the Kent was cheaper and the wave maker power head was actually enough flow rate( even though I got an extra power head for corals....in case I need it) I shall get some pics up soon of the tank

carey said:
Looks great! Congratulations!

Thanks, got a long process ahead. Briefly has anyone got a "correct" way of setting up the tank to begin cycling.

Also should I use live sand as well as live rock or just normal sand and live rock!?

Got a book coming soon

image-3686728514.jpg

This should steer me in the right direction but all help is appreciated.

Normal sand will be just fine. :) I would use live rock and base rock as well, base is usually alot cheaper than live. BUT not sure how big the tank is so you might not need that much rock to begin with.

It's a 24 gallon tank so not too big no. Would you say 15-20kg of live rock would be enough for that size?

Well I had more stuff come today, my red sea feet grow kit, my koralia nano 900, glass scraper and mag float

image-1175786384.jpg

Sniperhank said:
Prob should look into a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. I've had a ton, all crap, never match or close to actual salinity.

I'll have to have a look for one of those then, cheers.

Well my master test kit arrive this morning, just waiting on my live sand and reef test kit. Love all these parcels, shopping on the Internet really is cheaper than using local LFS! Saying that you cant beat the advice from them.

image-677354327.jpg

I did say this will take me a long time to get setup as I'm a beginner! Take it slow and get all the advice poss, that way you can't go much wrong! :) Not long till cycling can start though

IM looking at getting a wave controller and was concidering a wave surfer does anyone have and experience with this or any other good cheap models out there.

Would be nice to keep fish and corals healthy when I get it all setup. Rather have all the kit ready before I go to town on the setup

Back
Top Bottom