Best fish for a 10 gal nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to decide what one fish to get for my 10 gal FOWLR...what would folks recommend? I don't want a clownfish. Was thinking maybe a firefish? I also don't want a fish that will eat feather dusters.

a firefish was my first fish....alone, he will just sit in a cave, and you won't see much except his head...

Later, after I got rid of him, I read that they like prefer company, so I'd say 2 or more Firefish if you want to see them swim...

Just my 2 cents.

If I could only have one fish, it would be a tailspot, or bicolor blennie.

I have a neon dottyback....he is the coolest fish I found that I could fit in my nano, but I also have a 37 gal ready for him if and when he outgrows my 10 gal, as it is possible he could outgrow it.

I also think 6 line wrasses are cool.

I have an Eclipse 12 and I have a firefish in mine as well and love him. When I first got him he always hid in his cave and being new to Saltwater I didn't realize I had improper lighting. I was using the standard flourencent blub that came wiht the tank. About two weeks ago I purchased a 50/50 bulb and now my firefish only ever goes in his cave when the lights are out. He's always swimming around with my two O. Clownfish. :D

I also really like the Yellow Clown Gobies, I'm sure you could manage one other fish along with him since they only get about an inch and a half fully grown. :)

Just my prefrence anyway. 8)

I have a percula, a fire fish, and a greenclown goby in my 20 gallon reef. The goby still hides a lot (he's only been in there for about 3 weeks), but the firefish and perc are good friends now. The firefish used to hide in a cave all the time because the perc. liked to pick on him, but now they like to swim together. When the lights go off on my tank, the firefish goes to its cave to sleep, and the perc pushes himself up against the cave enterance to sleep, kind of like he's protecting the firefish.

My Eclipse 12 was originally a freshwater so if I were to start over again with a nano sw tank I'd go with the nano cube becuase the lighting is so much better than on the eclipse.

My tank really isn't complex at all. The tank did originally come with a flourecent bulb and it took me a few weeks to search for a compatible 50/50 bulb that would fit the hood. You can purchase them at http://www.hellolights.com/13w5010dayac.html

Then I use the filter and bio wheel that came with the tank. I was originally told to remove the bio wheel and that seemed to work fine, but I later put it back in and still have my nitrates at 0ppm so it doesn't seem to be effecting it in a negative way. :p

Then to add circulation I added one of those powersweep powerheads and I love it. :D

I have 12lbs of live sand and 15lbs of live rock and everything seems to be running smoothly now. :D

If I missed anything you wanted to know just ask. :)

Back
Top Bottom