Best Nano Fish list??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fat clownfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am getting a 8 gallon nano reef and I was looking for any good fish. Post some of your own tanks.one of my favorites are the frostbite clownfish/definently getting a pair of those. By the way the tank Is the Innovative Marine 8 Gallon Nano Aquarium. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you plan on adding a pair of clowns the tank is already overstocked and you shouldn't any other fish.

So as not to just be negative here's some options that would work in an 8. Clown gobies are awesome, or a trio of trimma gobies would be a unique and cool little tank with some inverts that get lost in larger tanks. A red banded hi-fin goby and candy cane pistol is a fun relation ship to watch in small tanks. Green banded goby, neon gobies, and yellow striped cardinal are all also options.

agreed the clowns would be pretty cramped, would skip until you get a 30 gallon or the like.

bigred's list is awesome though!

BigRed came up with just about all the fish I would suggest for a 8g. lol

The two clowns will be WAYYY too much for an 8g unfortunately. I had an evolve and had planned on clown gobies, a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp. They do have an awesome bond so its not just boring little fish. lol

I would also concentrate on inverts, like instead of the blue legged hermits everyone gets maybe get some of the more expensive ones, like the halloween crabs or the red legged guys, they run about $3 each. Then some shrimp, i would def have a fire shrimp and at least one other shrimp, maybe a cleaner or even peppermints. :) Just stay away from the coral banded ones, nasty little buggers. A sponge crab is also super cool if you can find one. Every time I have ordered one they have not shipped for one reason or another. So there are plenty of really neat things to do with the small tank. Just go slow, the water parameters in such a small tank can swing really quickly. Thats the only thing I would worry about.

oh, and also, if you are using a swing arm to test salinity I would reccomend strongly getting a refractometer. Majorly more accurate than the swing arm, about $30 on ebay. With the tank being so small the salinity can swing in a heartbeat. :)

BigRed came up with just about all the fish I would suggest for a 8g. lol

The two clowns will be WAYYY too much for an 8g unfortunately. I had an evolve and had planned on clown gobies, a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp. They do have an awesome bond so its not just boring little fish. lol

I would also concentrate on inverts, like instead of the blue legged hermits everyone gets maybe get some of the more expensive ones, like the halloween crabs or the red legged guys, they run about $3 each. Then some shrimp, i would def have a fire shrimp and at least one other shrimp, maybe a cleaner or even peppermints. :) Just stay away from the coral banded ones, nasty little buggers. A sponge crab is also super cool if you can find one. Every time I have ordered one they have not shipped for one reason or another. So there are plenty of really neat things to do with the small tank. Just go slow, the water parameters in such a small tank can swing really quickly. Thats the only thing I would worry about.

oh, and also, if you are using a swing arm to test salinity I would reccomend strongly getting a refractometer. Majorly more accurate than the swing arm, about $30 on ebay. With the tank being so small the salinity can swing in a heartbeat. :)

great advice as usual carey!

Everyone always mentions the gobies from the genus Trimma but let's not forget about their relatives the Eviota gobies either :).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom