Best nano substrate cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkerrobin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

My CUC consist of turbo snails and hermits and two peppermint shrimp.

However I need something to keep my 20g sand clean....

What is the best in your opinion?

They are quite hard to get hold of over here.......most people rec. these snails, how many do you have in your nano (which looks awesome by the way)!(y)

I have none, I haven't been able to get a hold of any myself :lol:

Maybe find a place to order online? They're the only real low-impact and easy to care for sandsifter unless you want a some sort of watchman-type goby.

And thank you, currently I'm not super happy with it, but hopefully when I move I'll get it in shape (y)

I need to get something, the sand keeps going brown with patches of algae....new tank I guess.....

Got good flow? That'll keep most algae off the sand.

Brown algae AKA diatoms are usually the result of new tanks, how long has yours been up?

Not bad, one nano power head and the flow of the filter pump. Tank has been set for two months...?

how long is the tank ad how do you have the powerheads postioned. Try a two spot goby, have heard they die often but ive had mine and he is doing great, constantly sifting sand, keeps it fresh

The tank is a tall 21 gallon ( uk) tank, will check on flow of power heads......

The nano head is positioned to flow mid tank, the filter pump is aimed towards the top of the water

If you aim it so both have their flow hitting each other then you get a good chaotic flow. I have both of mine aimed at the back wall hitting each other.

lol I'm trying to explain what is in my head, hope you get what I'm saying. :)

I think so! Both heads flow meeting in a point (centre of tank) to cause a stronger flow throughout.....?

Walkerrobin said:
I think so! Both heads flow meeting in a point (centre of tank) to cause a stronger flow throughout.....?

Will this help with brown diatoms?

I have a handful of hermits and a diamond watchman goby that keep my sand pretty clean. I also have 1 or 2 nassirus snails in there somewhere, but I never see them come up above the sand. There are also 2 peppermint shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in there, but they don't really clean the sand.

Also, eliminating the source of phosphates and reducing nitrates will starve the diatoms out. If they can't feed, they won't grow.

MBliss81 said:
I have a handful of hermits and a diamond watchman goby that keep my sand pretty clean. I also have 1 or 2 nassirus snails in there somewhere, but I never see them come up above the sand. There are also 2 peppermint shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in there, but they don't really clean the sand.

My hermits just stay on the rock - useless!! Would a watchman goby grow too big for a nano, I have heard they need 30g?

My watchman goby is quite large, I woudlnt put him in anything less than a 30 at the least.

Have you looked online for those snails? I have a ton of them in my biocube.

I have Carey, there seems to be a snail shortage!! Keep looking I guess

Where are you located? I just ordered from reefcleaners and got 20 narsissus snails for 40 cents each. :)

Back
Top Bottom