Bettababe's 29 Gallon Biocube Build/Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What this looks like is you want a SW tank, but don't know what you want out of it.

I agree the BC is a great beginner tank for the fact that it's a one item purchase and essentially all the dry equipment is there. But if you prefer the look of standard tanks better than it's definitely possible to set up something of around the same cost for you.

I say take a bit of time and search through liveaquaria.com and look at their SW fish and corals, find what you like and let us know. For a bit of direction look in the nano fish section (most if not all of them are reef safe) and when looking at corals skip the SPS section (high-light and hard to keep)

Many many people will tell you that you should start bigger and nanos are too hard, etc. But if you are willing to put the work into it it's not any harder than any other tank you have. I got my BC14 for my birthday over a year ago, and have had no major issues or losses thus far. My tank is now to the point of running itself, aside from feeding and PWCs

After you've looked through come back and give us a list of fish, inverts, and corals you like. Then we can try to build a tank for you around that.

iDream said:
What this looks like is you want a SW tank, but don't know what you want out of it.

I agree the BC is a great beginner tank for the fact that it's a one item purchase and essentially all the dry equipment is there. But if you prefer the look of standard tanks better than it's definitely possible to set up something of around the same cost for you.

I say take a bit of time and search through liveaquaria.com and look at their SW fish and corals, find what you like and let us know. For a bit of direction look in the nano fish section (most if not all of them are reef safe) and when looking at corals skip the SPS section (high-light and hard to keep)

Many many people will tell you that you should start bigger and nanos are too hard, etc. But if you are willing to put the work into it it's not any harder than any other tank you have. I got my BC14 for my birthday over a year ago, and have had no major issues or losses thus far. My tank is now to the point of running itself, aside from feeding and PWCs

After you've looked through come back and give us a list of fish, inverts, and corals you like. Then we can try to build a tank for you around that.

Thanks. I was looking at liveaquaria. I know I definitely want a couple clowns. I'll look more at fish and get back to you on it.

I definitely am going with a biocube 29 gallon.

A pair of clowns sounds good then, percula or occellaris only though. That would leave room for 1, possibly 2 more fish

Okay. Here's a list of what I'd like, I know I can't have all, can you say overstocked(I assume)? So here's a few I found:

Fish:

Court Jester Goby
Ocellaris Clown or Black Ocellaris
Orange Striped Cardinalfish
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
Firefish or Purple Firefish

Corals:

Button Polyp
Lavender Mushroom
Green Florescent Mushroom
Thick finger Leather Coral
Candycane Coral
Brian Coral, Favites
Pink Birds-nest Coral
Red Candy Cap Coral

Which would go well together, and are easy to care for? I went to beginner and looked at what I liked that was in the right minimum gallons range. I basically went by picture, I don't know anything about them yet. Emphasis on the yet. So, what do you think? The clowns are a pretty definite yes.

Those fish won't have any problems, assuming they're all good for the BC29. My only questions is is the wrasse a reef-safe wrasse? Most gobies are easy and well as the clowns

Coral list looks like good ones for the BC's lighting as well, minus the pink birds nest. I'd stay away from that one

Subscribing to this thread... Playing with the idea of starting saltwater somewhere down the road... This seems like a good thread to follow.

Okay. Like I said, I haven't done much research yet. I'll check to see if it's reef safe. So, what of those fish should I have? I'm assuming I can't have all of them. Lol. So basically just pick my favorites and check back here, and repeat until I get it right?

Yup, it's reef compatible. Yay. Don't wrasses like to burrow in the sand? Like I said, still in the beginning stages of research but learning quickly, so sorry for my ignorance.

Also, how do you pronounce wrasse? Lol. Sorry...

Court Jester Goby:

Reef safe: With caution

Ocellaris Clown or Black Ocellaris:

Reef safe

Orange Striped Cardinalfish:

Reef compatible

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse:

Reef safe

Firefish or Purple firefish:

Reef safe

Okay, this what I found in this portion of my research. It's more for my benefit of just writing it down. I also have it in a google doc so I can copy and paste when need be.

Okay, since the CJ goby is reef safe with caution, should I skip it? I really love the fish, but it is a reef tank. I don't want it destroying my corals. I'd be freaking out.

So, what do you masters of saltwater suggest?

Back
Top Bottom