Bill's DIY AIO 10 Gallon - Something out of nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did a preliminary set of tests since I did a large couple of water changes over the last few days. Everything is in the ideal ranges(using api :( I know...) except magnesium, I don't have a test for that. I'll do another set of tests next week to see what changes.

Ph 8.0
KH 11-12
Cal 420
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 0
Phosphate between 0 and .25

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just did a preliminary set of tests since I did a large couple of water changes over the last few days. Everything is in the ideal ranges(using api :( I know...) except magnesium, I don't have a test for that. I'll do another set of tests next week to see what changes.

Ph 8.0
KH 11-12
Cal 420
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 0
Phosphate between 0 and .25

API isn't as bad as everyone says it is IMO. you just have to make sure you do exactly as it says. It may not have 100% accuracy, but seems to be fairly close.

Yeah, and I don't plan on packing this tank full of coral, just gonna let a few select pieces grow out. I want to keep this tank as low maintenance as possible. I've got a mr aqua 48g rimless that I need to decide what I'm gonna do with... If that becomes my main display, I'll worry about better testing then... :) This is just a nice little bedroom tank.

Awesome!
I've been eyeballing my 20 XXXtall lately which has been empty since last year.
You came up with a great idea!
Your tank looks great!

Awesome!
I've been eyeballing my 20 XXXtall lately which has been empty since last year.
You came up with a great idea!
Your tank looks great!

Thank you! I'm really enjoying the look of this tank and the functionality! No more surface scum because I finally have overflows, no pesky powerheads to look at or keep clean, I finally have a place to run my auto top off, water level always stays constant in the display area, etc... I feel like I finally have a legit reef tank, instead of slapping things together! Haha

Quick question on the tank build. Do the tank walls sit on the bottom sheet of glass? And what silicone did you use? I got a good size sheet of 1/2 glass today and I'm thinking of DIY rimless frag tank. You kinda inspired me.

Quick question on the tank build. Do the tank walls sit on the bottom sheet of glass? And what silicone did you use? I got a good size sheet of 1/2 glass today and I'm thinking of DIY rimless frag tank. You kinda inspired me.

Mine is a combination of both because of the original measurements and way the tank was built originally. Most standard tanks with the black rims are built with the side panels sitting on top of the bottom. Most rimless tanks like ADA or Mr Aqua, the side panels are fitted up against the bottom panel. I really don't think it matters, as long as everything fits well and you use a good silicone. Do a little research on what silicone is used for rimless tanks, there is some that has a stronger bond than what you can typically get at the LFS or hardware store.

And ps, unless you're an experienced glass cutter, I wouldn't recommend trying to cut 1/2" glass yourself... Take it to a glass shop and have them cut it and polish the edges for you. Oh, and make sure it's not tempered glass! Lol

Mine is a combination of both because of the original measurements and way the tank was built originally. Most standard tanks with the black rims are built with the side panels sitting on top of the bottom. Most rimless tanks like ADA or Mr Aqua, the side panels are fitted up against the bottom panel. I really don't think it matters, as long as everything fits well and you use a good silicone. Do a little research on what silicone is used for rimless tanks, there is some that has a stronger bond than what you can typically get at the LFS or hardware store.

And ps, unless you're an experienced glass cutter, I wouldn't recommend trying to cut 1/2" glass yourself... Take it to a glass shop and have them cut it and polish the edges for you. Oh, and make sure it's not tempered glass! LOL

Correction: It is 1/4" glass and I plan on having av shop cut and polish it. I think I like the I idea of the walls sitting on the base glass. Gonna have them check to see if it's tempered also.

Well, we've been in the process of selling our house, so I just got the tank set up at my in laws where we'll be staying for a few months until we find a new home. New sand and a few new additions.

Here's a quick vid of where the tanks sits now. Kitchen tank! :D
http://youtu.be/0DjfOcAtpBo

Looks amazing!! I am trying to recreate you design because I love the idea. I have all the parts just need time to put it all together.

That little track is very impressive! Looks really nice. Good luck on finding your new place. :)

That little tank is very impressive! Looks really nice. Good luck on finding your new place. :)

Looks amazing!! I am trying to recreate you design because I love the idea. I have all the parts just need time to put it all together.

Thank you! Take your time with the project! If I had the chance to do anything differently, I'd include a second baffle on each side for a "bubble trap" as I'm having a small issue with micro bubbles. Also, I would have more carefully planned where I drilled the outflow, I kind of wish it was a little higher up and out of sight. Good luck! Post some pics when you're finished! :)

That little track is very impressive! Looks really nice. Good luck on finding your new place. :)

Thank you so much! I'm very proud of this build! I'm really enjoying the way it came out!

Where would you liked have put the outflow? How much higher?

Where would you liked have put the outflow? How much higher?

I would have put it right below the water line, just so it's a little more out of view. Maybe just an inch or so higher... I'm just OCD like that. After I finish a project I pick it apart and focus on everything I could have done differently rather than just admiring my work and being happy... Lol

Here, in this pic you can kind of tell how the outflow is sort of distracting. It's like bam, right there in the middle of view. If it was closer to the waterline, I think it would look better.

I would have put it right below the water line, just so it's a little more out of view. Maybe just an inch or so higher... I'm just OCD like that. After I finish a project I pick it apart and focus on everything I could have done differently rather than just admiring my work and being happy... Lol

I am OCD in those ways too!! I just want to get as much advice from you, and what you would've improved to make your a better tank. Thank you bill for the help and the idea!!

Back
Top Bottom