Bioball question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 14g biocube and my question is mainly whether or not to keep the bioballs which come with it. Some people say that they are a "nitrate factory" The tank has already been up for over a month and it is already cycled. LFS told me to replace them with LR rubble. What are your opinions on that? I currently have 12 lbs of live rock. Do you think i need more live rock? I want to eventually have some corals in it and I dont want my nitrates to be a problem.

You won't need the bioballs, but I don't like keeping lr in small confinements either as this just produces detritus that is hard to get at/clean. In a 14g with reasonable amounts of lr there should be adequate bacteria and I would use the space where the bioballs were for other filtration aspects such as chemical media.

Okay. Whats your opinion about more lr. I only have 12 pounds which isnt quite a pound per gallon. I was thinking of adding maybe 3-5 more pounds? Or is that uneccesary? And as for chemical media instead of bioballs. What do you suggest?

2lbs/gallon is usually a good estimate, but also depends on the aquascape you are trying to build. The most common chemical media used is carbon. I would either go with Seachem Matrix Carbon or Rox.

Okay thanks. I plan to add a little more rock then. I currently am stilll using the filter cartridge which came with the biocube. (well i changed it but the same kind) I believe that is carbon. Should i take that out and replace with the carbon you are talking about?

IMO any type of filtration will become a Nitrate factory if it's not properly maintained.

Yea i guess that is true. But its hard to maintain the bioballs in my filter. They are hard enough to get to. I don't want to have to do that unless they are the best way to go.

Gotcha. I'm using an Eheim 2080 with Suabstratpro (glass bioballs) and my nitrates run up to 6.5 mg/l in two weeks then i do a pwc (Under control for now), it could be lower but this is not that bad but much easier to maintain than your setup.

Yea I would be okay with mine around that. I just don't want to take them out and have more negative effects than nitrates a little high.

Back
Top Bottom