biocube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am hoping to be able to set up a nanocube in the next few months and have been looking at them online. I was considering the 29 gal Oceanic Biocube. I was looking at them online yesterday and noticed that the people who reviewed it on Petsmart's website said they had problems with leaking and one even arrived home to find that it had cracked and drained out during the day. Is this common for this tank? I was also considering a JBJ nanocube but haven't really heard anything about them.

Why not a Dennerle nano cube, it's cute and epic round edges. If I would start a second tank I would've bought a Dennerle one, but they only have it in 10/20/30/60 litres, so yeah ^^

Anyways good luck :)

I have an Oceanic 29G BioCube. I haven't had any issues with the system leaking. It arrived in working condition. I was told what I am going to tell you now though: If you can afford the space gets a bigger tank. After I purchased the 29G and got it all setup, I took a 40G from my garage that I wasn't using, set that up, now have a 10G sump under that (biocubes don't lend themselves easy to adding a sump) and the 40G which costs a less than the BioCube all in all, is running a LOT better. Again if you're looking for a 29G and no bigger, the BioCube is good, no hardware problems at all.

as for what you have read sometimes this does happen but all in all the biocubes are great with now probs but if you want to switch to a JBJ then do so its all in what you want. there is nothing wrong with a biocube but as nick said if you can go bigger do so becuase it is the same or less to get running than a bio cube.

I have a biocube and I have had no problems. I recommend the tank. The new models are even better than I have.

I have one and love it. I try to take online reviews in stride, just like everything you buy sometimes there might be one bad apple. I would HIGHLY recommend oceanic 29g. You won't regret it.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a biocube as well and do reccomend the tank. However like nxb161 said, it is impossible to add a sump pretty much and over time you might want more water to your system. It all depends on how confortable you are with starting into a tank. I got my biocube because it pretty much set up every part of the tank for me and all I had to do was buy the stuff inside. Didnt have to worry bout lights, powerheads, filter, etc. So it is very useful for that, but it cant be upgraded easily. As for it leaking I heard of one case where it shipped bad but the company replaced it. Great starting tank, just hard to upgrade anything.

Thanks for all the advice! I want a biocube because this will be my first saltwater tank and I like that it comes with just about everything you need to set one up. Another bonus is that it is the perfect size to put next to my desk. I used to have my 55 gallon fw tank next to my desk before we moved recently and I loved to be able to sit here and watch the fish. I am planning on starting it up as a reef tank and can't wait to get started.

I think there are plenty of upgrades. Just costs money. I do not have a sump yet but I will soon. I have a tunze protein skimmer, media basket, deflecto head on output, 100% LED lights, Moon lights with moon phase controller, and Vortech mp10 es wave maker. Only thing I dont have is a sump/refugium. I dont need one yet but when I do, I will make one.

Just a side note to my reply is that when i say its impossible to add a sump I dont literally mean impossible. Without drilling you would have to tear up the stock hood and personally I like the sleek design and look of it. And second, if you do drill it will probably be after you have had the tank a while and then messing up drilling would be tragic. Thats what I mean be impossible. However I do think your choice to get one as your first sw tank is perfect though :D And cant wait to see updates on how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom