Biocube 14 overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaNosio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone out there having issues with the biocube overheating? The tank is stock, and my digital temp reading moves upwards of about 81-82 degrees before I turn off the lights in the evening. I keep the lights on for about 8-10 hours a day for my corals. Fans seem to be working but not helping much.

Pic of tank attached, all life seems to be doing great, I just hate to see such fluctuations between 77-82 degrees throughout the day.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3889800946.jpg
    image-3889800946.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 157
Yeh, I get the same problem. What I found that works for me is to keep the small lid partially open. Keep the room temp around 75 and have a small fan blowing in the direction of the tank. U need to add water more often because of evaporation but it's better than having those crazy fluctuations. It will still rise a degree or so when the lights are on but that's better than the 5 degree swing. Shouldn't be so bad for me this winter when I keep the room temp. around 70.

I also run at 81 degrees in my 29g cube, I try to leave the back door open for air circulation. As long as the 81 stays consistently I figure it's good to go.

That's interesting. I shoot for as close to 77 as I can because that's the average most say is ideal. I'll have to rethink this now. Thanks Carey

I keep ALL my other tanks at a steady 79. But for some reason the biocube just heats up faster. lol As long as it's stable and not too high it should be just fine. If mine goes above 82 then I start to worry. hehe even though its only 1 degree, which doesn't happen all too often, I still keep an eye on it. At 83 I go for the bags of ice. :) Has only happened twice and both times my a/c was out for the day so I know the reason.

Just out of curiosity - I have a BioCube 14 that I just set up. Where did you put your heater? In the tank or in one of the chambers?

I removed the carbon filter. Put in a PolyFilter and that's the chamber where I placed my heater

I was having new hardwood floors put in so had to move my 14 into the kitchen area. I have window AC units and the kitchen is sort of cut off in the airflow so I had to make some adjustments. First, I placed a fan in the dining room aiming into the kitchen to get osme of the cooler air in. When that wans't 100% successful, I attached a desk fan to my cabinet and started blowing air into the open feeding door as well as making sure the ceiling fan in the kitchen stayed on high. While that kept temps down to about 80, I wanted a few degrees lower. I took a wood dowel and put it across the tank under the open main canopy. I played with the location until I got a good height for cooling. Since I have a Firefish and they like to jump, I use and used some netting from a pond skimming net and taped it, nicely, to the tank so that it covered the open areas where the canopy was no longer sitting square on the tank. With all the air blowing, the tank temp stayed at about 75 but could go up as high as 79 even then.

Now that the floors are in I just have to decide where the tank is going to sit..this will be my LAST summer of having three fans going just to keep the tank cool :)

Back
Top Bottom