Biocube 29 LED retro fit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have dimming ability. I do not have a dimming controller. I was concerned with all the electronics and how i would hook it up. Turns out that it is not that hard. I will eventually add that. I put the lights in rows so that when I do add the controller I would be able to do the cloud passing and dusk and dawn. It is basically a driver with a computer controller.

BTW With most up grades you loose moon lights. I went with K2 moonlights with moon phase controller. Very cool effect. You can set to your moon phase so it matches your moon outside.

Updated pics. I had to sell off quit a bit because I ran out of real estate. So looks kind of new. I have a new green bird nest that was $5 frag.

Attachments

• fishtank pics with LEDs 003.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 003.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 97
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 004.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 004.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 94
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 005.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 005.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 95
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 006.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 006.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 83
More

The leds seem to be camera shy. Hard to see how much they bring out color.

Attachments

• fishtank pics with LEDs 009.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 009.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 86
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 012.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 012.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 71
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 014.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 014.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 74
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 016.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 016.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 72
More pics and I through in the new skimmer and media basket pic. You see it looks stock.

Attachments

• fishtank pics with LEDs 021.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 021.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 102
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 019.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 019.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 88
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 022.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 022.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 75
  • fishtank pics with LEDs 018.jpg
    fishtank pics with LEDs 018.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 100
Tunze nano. Honestly I didn't need it. Since I have had it I have never had anything skimmed. No dark skimate. Just clear bubbles. It works great. I just change my water enough that I dont need it. I am not sure any one needs them. I have a friend with a 165 and she does not use one and changes water once a month. But it is a tunze 9001 nano. It was like 165.

That's what I thought it was that you had in there. I am pro-skimmer on a larger system but not necessarily on nano tanks. I had a 120g display with a 55g frag tank and 4 sumps; about 280g in total and I ran an ASM G4X on my system with great results. I changed 32g of water every other week without fail but I had a very high bio load in my system. I had a lot of fish and I fed them well.

There is no one right way to maintain a system and what works for you or your friend may or may not work for others. I like seeing people using different methods and learning from their experience.

Let me know if you want to sell that skimmer ;)

You will be the first to know. I was thinking about getting rid of the skimmer and using space for a little cheato. But then a friend told me about a guy locally that builds custom sump/fuges. I have a appt tomorrow for an estimate. So I might hang on to it for the more water. See if it changes things. This is the sump I am after.

YouTube - Sump - Refugium - 29 Gallon Biocube

The guy said he can build it no prob. Just want to know cost. He said he could have it done in 2 or 3 days.

They aren't difficult to build the only issue I see you running into is getting the water out of your nano and into the sump then back again.

I have live rock and cheato in my back middle chamber with the jbj nano glo LED light for the fuge and my water has been flawless. I have the oceanic skimmer in chamber one (it does collect some stuff). I custom made a shelf to have filter pads over the fuge so the water hits the pad first. I also have chemipure in with the fuge and purigen in the the third chamber.

I have not had any sort of hair algae, diatoms, cyano bacteria or anything since I started the fuge. I also have pods and other stuff living in the fuge. I do a RO/DI water change once a week and everything is crystal clear.

I kind of agree with Ziggy, I would be afraid of the amount of water pumping up and back down to that sump. It seems like a waste of money to me as well.

I kind of agree with Ziggy, I would be afraid of the amount of water pumping up and back down to that sump. It seems like a waste of money to me as well.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am 100% in favor of having a fuge on a reef system, the problem with nano cubes is getting the water out of the tank and back again. With a larger tank it is easy with an overflow or a RR tank. I would like to see what solution is presented with getting the water from the tank to the fuge and back again.

So I talked to the guy today and he said just the fuge was 150. Not bad at all. So we talked and he said (in his opinioin) that the problem with tanks is that the (sludge) uneaten food or poo is left and there are not enough bacteria to consume. So he recommended I try a bacteria supplement. He said he uses it and never cleans his tank. So I bought some. I have a friend that owns a lfs and said the same thing.

I will try it and see what happens. If you would like to research it is called "TLC for saltwater aquariums". His tanks looked like they were just setup. It kind of makes sense. He said he changes water and adds bacteria. His tanks were amazing.

As far as moving the water, tto the fuge, that is also a big concern of mine. Also the fuge was only 10 g. It seems like a small increase in gallons for the trouble.

Mandarin, Do you use a skimmer? Did you go with the mediabasket fuge? I have the mediabasket media organizer. I like it but not sure of the flow thru the media.

Sorry just read what skimmer you have.

Last edited:
BTW. Just got a chalice. Will see how it does under LEDS. so far, it was too bright in the middle so I moved to the bottom.

150 bucks for a 10g sump is really steep IMO. You could buy a 20 gallon and silicone the baffles in yourself for 1/4 of that cost.

I didn't really think about the fact that a 10g is only 10 bucks. But it was a very nice set up. It was silent and had a 6 chamber water baffle to slow water and catch bubbles. But it is still only 10g. I think if I get one I want to increase my volume by more than that. I should have taken a pic, this guy had some experience with silcone and glass.

I would go for at least a 20 gallon. If you could fit it, a 30 gallon breeder would be ideal. You could suspend some eggcrate in your refugium section down the road and make a little frag section.

I would go for at least a 20 gallon. If you could fit it, a 30 gallon breeder would be ideal. You could suspend some eggcrate in your refugium section down the road and make a little frag section.

Always planning for that frag section aren't you! LOL

Back
Top Bottom