BioCube 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndI3kAY

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I found a biocube 8 on craigslist for $50. I haven't gotten it yet but so far I know it doesn't come with lights. People usually upgrade the lights in these things anyways right? So no big deal really. What kind of lights does everyone recommend? Also I will be needing a powerhead, or is the filter enough water movement? I need a heater too but I don't know what size to get. Anything else I will need to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank that size, the filter should be enough. I would look at upgraded filter systems. Using filter foam blocks instead of the bio balls.

Is there a specific kind of filter upgrade i should look into?

Nothing too specific. Just the bio balls aren't the best thing for filtering.

Think your best bet for lights would be a par38 for reef tanks. You can get them on ebay and amazon. Think about 100.00

No you'd need to remove the lid, check stevesleds or nanobox for retrofit kits

The last one(far left) should be where your pump is. In the middle is where I have my mechanical and biological filter(sponge block and bag of carbon) the last one I currently have empty but I plan on putting a protein skimmer in.

I'm planning to order a media basket for the middle chamber. And I'm hoping to order the lights at the same time. I'm thinking for now I will just use the stock lighting, but there are like 5 to choose from. Any help on this? Here are the options; 18W PC-R 12K White Lamp, 18W PC-R 50/50 Lamp, Coralife 18W 10K Straight Pin PC Lamp, Coralife 18W Actinic Straight Pin PC Lamp, or Coralife 18W 50/50 Straight Pin PC Lamp. I think there are 2 slots in the hood for lights, so I need to pick 2 different bulbs correct? Or do I get 2 of the same?

The lights for the tank would be something small and if you want corals then the Skyye light clamp LED lights are awesome, I have them on my 8 gallon reef and my coral are beautiful and growing, and if not getting coral it will still look beautiful they also have an option to turn on actinic blue lights on for night viewing or just day time lights or both for a beautiful ripple effect!! In Australia about $110

Any help choosing lights?
`18W PC-R 12K White Lamp
`18W PC-R 50/50 Lamp
`Coralife 18W 10K Straight Pin PC Lamp
`Coralife 18W Actinic Straight Pin PC Lamp
`Coralife 18W 50/50 Straight Pin PC Lamp

I know I need 2 lights for the hood, just don't know which 2 to choose, any help is appreciated

The lights for the tank would be something small and if you want corals then the Skyye light clamp LED lights are awesome, I have them on my 8 gallon reef and my coral are beautiful and growing, and if not getting coral it will still look beautiful they also have an option to turn on actinic blue lights on for night viewing or just day time lights or both for a beautiful ripple effect!! In Australia about $110

Do you have the 4w or 8w? Looking into this light for another tank, thanks

Placing my order probably tomorrow for an inTank media basket, 18w Actinic light and 18w 10k light. Does all this sound right? any input is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom