Biocube and heat issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a build thread but I figured it probably died down a bit since the whole thing with my African Cichlid tank. Anyway, I've been toying with going topless or not, upgrading the lights or not, I'm new to it and feel part of me what's to get the best lights or at least good lights other then stock an part of me says eh.... It looks sleek and stylish caddy corner in the bedroom why mess with it. Well... I already have the egg grate and netting cut to size, just in case.

So the issue at hand I the heat, I got home from work and it was like 81-82 in my cube. I took the top off and but the crate/netting on top for now. To let the heat out.

So I guess the question is.... How do you deal with your cube heat?

My wife likes it better with the top on btw... But is willing to buy a light upgrade because she absolutely fell in love with the tank and bought a magazine and wants this this and that and more of this lol.

What to do.... What to do.... ????

I would definitly go with a top. You dont wanna wake up to see fish on the ground, its horrible. Maybe make some type of mesh iron top? I am not sure how to reduce heat. Good luck!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I would definitly go with a top. You dont wanna wake up to see fish on the ground, its horrible. Maybe make some type of mesh iron top? I am not sure how to reduce heat. Good luck!

Thanks Nu Nu I did make this and it has a screen top that goes on top.

View attachment 74089

Then here's the problem I would need a light fixture. I've been looking around and Mr. X has been very helpful in giving me direction in where to go. I was looking at the 6 bulb aquaticLife fixture and then upgrading the bulbs to ATI's.

I dunno just throwing out my thoughts since the African tank is quiet :)

Last edited:
Dino, pop the feeder lid open. most bio/nano ube owners keep theirs open from what I understand. mine is in a room that i have the heat turned off in because of multiple computers & a tank keeping it warm enough so I don't need to crack mine. But i['m pretty sure carey keeps hers open most of the time as well.

Also, my temps fluctuate from 78-81 daily. it's just as natural as shallow water being warmer during the day :)

NyteGTI said:
Dino, pop the feeder lid open. most bio/nano ube owners keep theirs open from what I understand. mine is in a room that i have the heat turned off in because of multiple computers & a tank keeping it warm enough so I don't need to crack mine. But i['m pretty sure carey keeps hers open most of the time as well.

Also, my temps fluctuate from 78-81 daily. it's just as natural as shallow water being warmer during the day :)

Thanks for the response Ryan. I'll do that. My wife is always cold lol.

Has anyone Considered replacing stock fans with some that are better like a high quality pc fan?

Grim-Reefer said:
Has anyone Considered replacing stock fans with some that are better like a high quality pc fan?

That thought never crossed my mind. Good idea. Then I'm thinking just get that egg crate with netting. Take the hood off and upgrade the lighting then you just killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Then I guess you evaporation issues to deal with but I'm guessing the heat issue will be better.

Remember that with high com fans comes noise and probably more height to them. It's hard to get 60mm fans in a short size that puts out more air ans still fit in the hood. I've looked into it for my nano and there are a few but i'm willing to bet these fans in a bedroom would start yo annoy you lol

My cube runs hot too. I just keep the back compartment open all day and the front lid open when I'm next to it just in case a fish jumps out. lol

I run at a consistent 81 degrees. Never varies really so I leave it be.

NyteGTI said:
Remember that with high com fans comes noise and probably more height to them. It's hard to get 60mm fans in a short size that puts out more air ans still fit in the hood. I've looked into it for my nano and there are a few but i'm willing to bet these fans in a bedroom would start yo annoy you lol

Haha! Yeah that would drive me crazy!!

carey said:
My cube runs hot too. I just keep the back compartment open all day and the front lid open when I'm next to it just in case a fish jumps out. lol

I run at a consistent 81 degrees. Never varies really so I leave it be.

Ok I'll do that! I'll leave the back open during the day. I've been so involved with my African tank that this tank is really gonna be ready by the time I am...

The heat issue with these cubes drives me crazy. It's the only thing I don't like about them. I have been leaving my top cracked open to manage the heat, but I am still getting temps in the 79-80 range, which is okay so far.

I'm with u. The heat issue is the reason I went with LED's in my latest tank build And I'll b upgrading my Bio14 with LED's soon. I also leave my hood open and have a fan facing the cube that helps as well

I may go open top with egg crate and do a LED fixture or T5 HO's. I'm on a tight budget but on a day like today my BC is reading near 83!!

Old building holds heat like crazy!! I had to install ceiling fans in every room!

I may have to bite the bullet an spend it. Just researching LED and T5's, meaning price wise....

watch out for using the egg crate. it will block light going into the tank so if you do do T5s you may want to go a tad bit overkill if you're planning on going for anything high light dependent. with the LEDs as long as you have a decent fixture it's probably overkill in the first place so turning it to 60-70% rather than 40-50 would be fine.

NyteGTI said:
watch out for using the egg crate. it will block light going into the tank so if you do do T5s you may want to go a tad bit overkill if you're planning on going for anything high light dependent. with the LEDs as long as you have a decent fixture it's probably overkill in the first place so turning it to 60-70% rather than 40-50 would be fine.

Hmmmm... Ok, always something right? lol. How about this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+21460&pcatid=21460

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18700&pcatid=18700

Or this? My friend has this one. I'm kinda liking it, when I go to his house it just looks killer on his tank. Maybe I'll tell him it's a fire hazard and I need to remove it from the structure :)

Last edited:
Or maybe just leave it as is... I drive myself crazy when I see all the mods people do to there cubes. Some of it is sick! Seems the most popular is the lighting. You would think they would just sell it with better lights then and just raise the price. Everyone is either gutting the hood or just doing a fixture. Next is there ripping the back apart and just throwing everything it comes with out!! lol this hobby is nuts hahaha!! Guess that's why I like it! Keeps me on my toes more then a 3 alarm fire!!

I hear yeh. I wish I knew all the issues I would b dealing with when I bought my biocube. But u live and learn. That's why I started fm scratch when I built my 2nd SW tank. And some people don't need the same requirements as the next person. It's all in what meets ur specific needs. I'm glad I started with the cube, otherwise I probably wouldn't have messed with SW at all. Thinking there was just too much to deal with to make it worthwhile.

Crabs said:
I hear yeh. I wish I knew all the issues I would b dealing with when I bought my biocube. But u live and learn. That's why I started fm scratch when I built my 2nd SW tank. And some people don't need the same requirements as the next person. It's all in what meets ur specific needs. I'm glad I started with the cube, otherwise I probably wouldn't have messed with SW at all. Thinking there was just too much to deal with to make it worthwhile.

You have a good point. I'm gonna use the cube as a starting point and who knows... Maybe after awhile the cube will be enough.

I really had no desire to buy a cube. I was looking through a garage sale, and the guy was selling it and the stand for $25. At that price, you feel almost obligated to buy it. :)

Back
Top Bottom