Biocube need air??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozzlil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to 29g Biocube tank, no fish in yet. Had tanks years ago and always needed an airstone/ pump for fish to breathe. This tank doesn't have an airstone, see no bubbles, water filled to top. Will fish have enough oxygen???

No air stone needed. The oxygen exchange will occur both at the surface of the water and the overflow in the back. If the return nozzle on your tank is adjustable, aim it a little bit up towards the surface. This will aid in the oxygen exchange as well by creating surface tension on the water's surface.

Do you have any extra powerheads besides the pumps that came with the tank? If not, you will want to add 1 or 2 to increase the flow within the display. This will aid in keeping any detritus suspended in the water to be brought down the overflow. Hope this helps!! :)

What do you suggest for additional powerhead? I am just getting back into nanos with a 28 gallon. Last nano I had the extra powerhead was too powerful and looked out of place in the nano

grabberblue2010 said:
What do you suggest for additional powerhead? I am just getting back into nanos with a 28 gallon. Last nano I had the extra powerhead was too powerful and looked out of place in the nano

I would start out with 1 or 2 of the Hydor Koralia Nano power heads. They come in 2 different sizes, 240gph and 425gph. I started out with 1 of each in my 28g and they are relatively inexpensive!

What about positioning? I know different for each tank setup but what worked best for you? My nano came with a wave maker good idea? Seemed a bit cheap

Is it the JBJ 28g? If so, I would use the wave maker. I have mine set on 90 second intervals. You have the option to run both pumps at the same time, but that caused heat issues for me.

I one of the Koralias in the upper right hand corner against the back blowing from right to left to keep flow going behind the rock. The other one I ran on the upper left hand corner of the back just below the return output. I pointed it towards the center of the display.

Yes it is the 28 gallon jbj sounds like solid advice any live rock places that you recommend?

Qube, are you running four powerheads then?

If so, do you have the extra heads on the wave maker as well or are they running all the time?

grabberblue2010 said:
Yes it is the 28 gallon jbj sounds like solid advice any live rock places that you recommend?

I've heard good things about Live Aquaria's, just too expensive for me... I'm actually in the process of building a 75g and got some dry Pukani rock from Bulk Reef Supply and I loved how easy it was to aquascape, but it isn't live, so a little extra time is involved.

Ftfunnative said:

If so, do you have the extra heads on the wave maker as well or are they running all the time?

The 2 stock return pumps and 2 powerheads. The return pumps are on the wave maker, the powerheads run continuously.

Ftfunnative said:

A pic to help explain...

image-1877634326.jpg

I ended up losing one of the Koralia 425s and going with a Vortech MP-10. I would only do the MP-10 if you are committed to the hobby due to the expense, that's why I didn't list it as an option previously... :)

Ftfunnative said:
Awesome tank! What lights are you using?

Thanks! It's a bit crowded with corals right now, but a chunk of them will be moving over to the 75 once it gets established.

I have an Odyssea 150 watt metal halide fixture, against my better judgement. They don't have the best track record, but it was a gift and it does work fairly well for what I need at the moment. There's a future upgrade in the works to convert over to LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom