Biorb life nano project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Ethan-

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So.. starting up my first sw tank. I have a 8g biorb life. I gutted the reef-one filtration/bubbler and sealed the bottom of the tank. 8lbs figure LR and 10lbs of live sand. Until my filter and powerhead arrive I've got a reptile filter and pump in it for circulation purposes. Still waiting for the sand dust to settle but here's a first glance... Any feedback is more than welcome.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110829_220524.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110829_220524.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 208
Definitely adding corals eventually. I don't want to rush it though tank just came off it's cycle yesterday. I ordered a toms rapids mini canister filter, debating whether to drill the tank for inlet/outlet tubes ... added 10-12 hermits. Koralia nano 240 is on the way as well. Any suggestions on types of coral I should be looking to put in it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110830_083633.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110830_083633.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 172
  • ForumRunner_20110830_083655.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110830_083655.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 163
  • ForumRunner_20110830_083716.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110830_083716.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 168
Interesting project it looks like, never seen anything like it.

I woudl get some zooa's and mushrooms to start and see how they do. I have no idea what kind of lighting this tank has...lol

The light that is on it came with the aquarium. Its the biorb intelligent led. It has a slow transition from the moon/blue light to the white daylight leds to simulate a natural light cycle. At peak daylight it puts out 6500k and keeps the water temp around 73-76. The depth of the tank is only around a foot to the sandbed. Here is a pic at full daylight.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110831_201159.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110831_201159.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 187
I have a bi orb (the bowl type one) with marine set up. I use the led lights and am successfully keeping a number of soft corals. These tanks are quite popular here in the Uk, lots of people said I wouldn't be successful with a bi orb and marine, but I have proved them all wrong!

Joel2011 said:
I have a bi orb (the bowl type one) with marine set up. I use the led lights and am successfully keeping a number of soft corals. These tanks are quite popular here in the Uk, lots of people said I wouldn't be successful with a bi orb and marine, but I have proved them all wrong!

Good stuff man! Can you share a pic maybe and some info on the setup?

Joel2011 said:

Did you use the biorb sw filters with the bubble tube? It seemed like a big task to do with live sand and live rock... filter around the filter to stop the sand just seemed pointless to me. I also have the round biorb with some gold fish for my kids. I don't particularly like the visual distortion while looking in the tank...

Sooo .... anyone know what a little collection of amber colored, rice grain looking, pieces accumulating at the water line might be? Die off from the live rock hopefully? ...

I don't have sand. Used the bi Orb ceramic media as the base. Then built up live rock in a semi circle around the back of the filter so can get the filter in and out. Coraline algae is growing over the ceramic media, it's fab. I use the fresh water filter cartridge, and take out all the granules, so put in my own using purigen and rowa phos under the sponge. I also have a good strong powerhead to create a good current. Will see if I can get a photo. I think it looks really stylish. I do 2 small water changes every week.

Just installed the powerhead and canister filter. I'm actually pretty impressed by this little filter! There is absolutely no noise whatsoever and it circulates the water very nicely! Took out the Bio media it came with and replaced it with seachem matrix. Nitrites jumped back up this morning for some reason .... not sure why that happened ...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110903_104002.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110903_104002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20110903_104031.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110903_104031.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 167
Well... cracked the back of the tank slightly while drilling holes for filter tubes. Moving everything to a biocube 14....

O no really sorry to hear that Ethan, I was looking forward to see it progress, hope it works out for you. I've just started a biorb 105 with the intelligent light, it's been running for three weeks now and I was really glad to hear joe has had some success with this light system, I'm going to stock it with a clean up Crew this week so fingers crossed.

No worries! Its fixable. I've just been really busy/lazy and haven't got around to sealing it back up. Its on my to do list. Ill have some new pics up as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom