Blue leg hermits/clean up crew etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alwmh4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to catch my blue leg hermits to give away. Th ones I haven't caught are small and hide well. I want to replace them with Scarlett's. Do I wait till the blues find larger shells for me to catch or buy bigger Scarlett's that the blues won't attack?

I found my blues are too aggressive. Snails are disappearing. But I need critters to clean.

Other inhabitants are
Clown
Diamond goby
Couple peppermint shrimp
Algae blenny
Turbo snail
Three corals

20 ga reef tank
And unfortunately I do have some bristle worms.

Want to add a cleaner skunk and snails (after blues are gone)

Why do you say unfortunately about the bristle worms? I have some that came on live rock from my lfs. When I first saw them, being new to saltwater, I freaked out and thought they were a parasite. Over time I've managed to catch a few of them because I personally don't like them, but I've never actually had a problem with them. Also wondering why the switch in crabs? I've never heard of the Scarlett ones so maybe someone can fill me in on the benefits over blue legs. Happy reefing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a personal thing I guess lol. I hate snakes and creatures of the sort. I don't mind small worms that I don't see often, but a I had 2 10" worms that looked like something from tales from the crypt that I just had to get out. They came with my rock too, along with mantis shrimp.

I've read 100 diff opinions on crab varieties. I've just found mine to attack each other and my snails have gone from 10ct to one and it's only there bc it's a big turbo. I've read that Scarlets are not so inclined to be that way. So I'm looking to try that.
My blues aren't aggressive for lack if food. I DID have two giant worms that were very well nourished

Hermits will kill each other and snails no matter what type you get, that's just what they do

I have 8 red/Mexican hermits and they do fine. I also have about 30-40 shells of varying and appropriate sizes in the tank for them. Watched one guy switch shells over 30 times until he decided on one LOL
I do think that they did kill one of their fellows once though.
Anywho...I saw a nice looking bluelegger one day at the lfs, $2, sold.
Got him in the tank and within about an hour the little bugger figured he was going to take on one of the nassarius snails. LOL Big mistake on his part.
I have rather large snails. ;)
Have you ever seen a nassarius snail kick a**? It's priceless, they twist their shell/body around as far as they can and then let it rip with a quick twist and clobber whatever is bugging them. Well the bluelegger held on for dear life and then the snail went into a death roll or something, like an alligator would do, until the crab let go. Then the crab came back for another go round and the snail just cocked his shell and smacked him and sent him flying about 6 inches across the sand. Old blue got the message.
Was absolutely amazing to watch.

Three days later I found the blue legger yanked out of his shell and dead. I think he tried to tangle with the biggest hermy who was easily 3 times his size.

you do not need a single hermit crab. They are all predators. I would skip them entirely.

you also don't "need" any fish or corals either, it's a matter of choice.

Personally I like hermits and find them rather entertaining, and they do a bang up job eating on the little bit of algea and cyano that pops up from time to time, not to mention food that the fish don't eat, so they do help "clean" as well.

Wow! I wanna see! lol My crabs just had their way with them.

I only got the hermits bc everyone said they were mandatory for clean up. I've never been fond. I think I'll just add snails and hope. I need clean up as I have a good bit of rock and thus hiding places for "trash" to be eaten

Hermit crabs do not eat cyanobacteria, and with a stomach not much larger than the head of a pin, they don't manage to eat much algae either. Food is not gone once it's eaten. It's just changed. Again, you don't need a single crab or snail to have a healthy reef tank and your tank will do no better with them. That's a fact. Add a nassarius snail or two. They are carnivores and will eat food that hits the bottom. If you are seeing a lot of uneaten food, you are overfeeding.

Hermit crabs do not eat cyanobacteria, and with a stomach not much larger than the head of a pin, they don't manage to eat much algae either. Food is not gone once it's eaten. It's just changed. Again, you don't need a single crab or snail to have a healthy reef tank and your tank will do no better with them. That's a fact. Add a nassarius snail or two. They are carnivores and will eat food that hits the bottom. If you are seeing a lot of uneaten food, you are overfeeding.

Well all I know is I watch them go to a patch of cyano and tear into it. Maybe they aren't eating it, but they are removing it from the rock none the less.

and, yeah, I'm pretty certain we all get the concept that the food doesn't magically "disappear" when eaten, otherwise why even bother with the whole cycling and BB garbage in the first place.

Regardless of your personal opinion, having some type of scavenger among the livestock has been an aquarium keeping staple for eons and for good reason.

but you are right, it isn't "needed", it's a matter of personal preference of what livestock a person wants to keep.

Well, eons or not, I'm not saying this to discount your statements, I'm saying this so the OP knows he doesn't need to worry about crabs or snails, and they are in no way algae deterrents nor will they lower the nutrient levels in the water. As far as aesthetics are concerned, keep whatever you want to look at, as long as it doesn't end up killing the other stuff you bought. In the OP's case, it was his snails.

This I agree with.
The term "clean up crew" is definitely a misnomer and gives the impression that somehow adding a certain grouping of crabs, starfish and snails will relieve the hobbyist from some degree of tank maintenance.
But it doesn't and as you have stated here and elsewhere, they need to be fed and contribute to bio-load.

Having stated that, some types of hermits, some stars and some snails will help with any uneaten bits of food and my turbo snail does an alright job of keeping the algae or occasional diatom bloom from completely obscuring the view by cleaning the glass, but it is far from "Spic and Span" clean and still requires the occasional wipe down. plus those snails crap a LOT!

So yes, I do agree with your point that they are not going to be breaking out mops, buckets and scrub brushes to make the hobbyist life easier, but they do get the random missed bit here and there.
I think you are really trying to convey that contrary to making less work, their presence requires even more care and attention from the hobbyist.
On that we certainly agree.

Back
Top Bottom