Brown algae in my 28 gallon nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it a newer tank set up? Diatoms.

Also try giving your tank a couple hour break period in the middle of the day/light cycle. What are your lights watts? How long are they on? How far is it from light to algae and or substrate?

I have the same algea growing in my tank. I bought a turbo snail (20 gallon FOWLR tank), and within days it was gone! I keep my lights off during the day while I am not home and turn them on around 4-6pm and turn them off around 10pm and have had no problems.

It's 4 years old and everything is fine corals and fish but I clean and do water changes and within days it's back ... The lights are 95 watts

I turn my blue actnics on at 8 in the morning and the whites come on at 9:30 .. The whites turn off at 6 and the blues at 8:30 pm

I did have a bunch I hermit crabs and snails but they come and go ... But I'm starting to think its the lights that are just too strong

Thanks snowmobil I've cut down the time the lights are on and the algae has pretty much disappeared !

I'm dealing with an algae issue as well. I've cut my lights back to 6hours blue and 4 hours white. I added 3 snails and an emerald. I also reduced feeding and increased my flow. It seems to be working, that means it doesn't seem to be getting worse, hopefully I'm on the downside of this issue. I've chekced my water and it seems to be ok but from what I've read the algae can be consuming the additional phosphates and nitrates. I'll be doing testing and pwc tomorrow. Personally I think you're running your lights way to long, but I'm no expert. I can tell you that many people are running a total of 9 hours 9 blue and 7 white.

Back
Top Bottom