Brown sand, and green hair algee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeharkins9092

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this problem in my 14 gallon tank, my levels are good but I'm thinking it may be the light or tap water that I use. Sand crabs have been good but it's starting to overwhelm them. And any suggestions on how to get rid of Algee on back wall?

image-2419329627.jpg

I have the same problem in my 29 gal. I was told zebra turbo snails will eat the green hairy algae ( I have put 2 in so far and they are eating very slow). Looks like you have a fan circulating the water - you might want to rotate that periodically because the red algae tends to form in low water movement areas. I use a hard scraper to scrape the back wall but not that successfully! Would like to hear what others have to say!

It's usually caused by phosphates and/or nitrates. But usually phosphates. Are you using RODI water, or tap for changes and top offs? Tap water is usually chock full o' phates! Also, over feeding can be a cause of phosphates too... What are your phosphate levels at? How often do you do water changes, and what's your livestock/feeding schedule?

Nitrate is at 0.0

Phosphate is at 0.25.

Feeding at night and morning just a little pinch, I'm gonna buy some pre mix saltwater to see if that does the trick, but I moved the water circulation around and it seems to be helping out

Phosphates are high. Feeding is way too often. Try to cut back on feeding to once a day. Do a couple 10% water changes a week... Basically
you want phosphates at 0. Anything over .03 ppm is considered high and will be a culprit of nuisance algae...

Back
Top Bottom