Can I keep frogspawn or torch with my setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 3 gallon tank from tetra and decided to turn that into a reef. It came with a 16 bright white led fixture but using as a fuge light for an AquaClear 50 with a 20 impeller. I haven't really modded it. I just kept the filter sponge at the bottom and placed chaetos on top of it.

I got a 26 watt Finnex EPOCH light fixture that comes with the finnex nano tanks to light the tank.

Amazon.com: SILVER GREY - 26W Energy Saving Nano/Refugium/Sump Aquarium Cliplight including Blue/White Bulb and Blue LED: Kitchen & Dining

I have about an inch of LS and 5lbs of LR.

Theres 3 snails and a hermit living in the tank now with other things like mini brittle stars and stuff.

I like the way an anemone looks but I don't think my setup has enough light for it nor the space so the closes thing is frogspawn or torch.

Does my setup have what it takes? I haven't gotten a reef test yet but will if what I have is enough for either.

Yes you dont want an anenome for two reasons. They need a mature tank of at least a yr old. Water parameters will not be stable enough to start with one. Also the anenome would move around your tank and kill all corals in a small tank like that. You know I`m not going to say it cant be done but it will be very hard to keep a reef in a tank that small. Small water volumes are not very forgiving to problems you might encounter. I personally would find a bigger tank but good luck if you do go with the small tank.

yeah a torch or frogspawn should fine, i suggest the frogspawn since it won't decimate any surrounding corals like a torch would

Yes you dont want an anenome for two reasons. They need a mature tank of at least a yr old. Water parameters will not be stable enough to start with one. Also the anenome would move around your tank and kill all corals in a small tank like that. You know I`m not going to say it cant be done but it will be very hard to keep a reef in a tank that small. Small water volumes are not very forgiving to problems you might encounter. I personally would find a bigger tank but good luck if you do go with the small tank.

I've had the tank running for almost a month and the water parameters are pretty stable. No ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are almost undetectable. I'm doing biweekly partial water changes and daily top offs about twice a day

It really needs to be much more time. Even though you cant see it because you are not testing every hour of the day your water parameters are swinging back and forth. I can guarantee you thet they are not stable after a month. There are still small changes occuring that are not good for some delicate corals and inverts.

I will give the tank a bit longer to break in then. I don't have the cash to get a frogspawn or torch yet anyways, but was looking into it. I'm going to see if my smaller LFS has smaller and less pricey ones compared to the other bigger LFS

I basically was talking about an anenome when I said that. Frogspawn or a torch coral are a bit more hardier and should be OK by the time you are ready.

Haha I got thrown off there for a bit. Are torches usually $119 at LFS's? Theres a few at my bigger LFS that have 3 heads and are priced as high as that. I will be seeing if the other LFS can get one for way less. Pet Solutions have frogspawn for $20. Anyone dealt with them before?

Mine usually sell for about 10 dollars a head. You can go online and check out Liveaquaria.

Mine usually sell for about 10 dollars a head. You can go online and check out Liveaquaria.

Already checked out Liveaquaria. And it ranges about $36-100+ for either. Not including shipping.. I want to know where you get yours! lol Are you supplementing yours with anything? Calcium? Strontium? what about feeding them? Do I really need to feed it? I spray a bit of mysis in the tank for the hermits and such occasionally since I'm seeing really low levels of algae. lol

Are you supplementing yours with anything? Calcium? Strontium? what about feeding them? Do I really need to feed it? I spray a bit of mysis in the tank for the hermits and such occasionally since I'm seeing really low levels of algae. lol

I dont supplement or target feed mine. My tanks get all the supplementation they need from PWC`s. Trace elements are replenished and excessive nutrients are diluted by just doing old fashion PWC`s. I dont feed mine either as they get all the need from the lighting and water column.

I dont supplement or target feed mine. My tanks get all the supplementation they need from PWC`s. Trace elements are replenished and excessive nutrients are diluted by just doing old fashion PWC`s. I dont feed mine either as they get all the need from the lighting and water column.

So what I've been doing is going to be just fine? Biweekly water changes, daily topoffs and spraying in less than .5 ml of mysis for the hermit, snails, shrimp, and looks like the pods and starfish are liking it.

New Torch and heres a picture! :grin:

Attachments

• Photo0661.jpg
    Photo0661.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 98
Its only been about 5 minutes or so since the picture and has extended a bit more. It was a pretty sweet deal from the LFS. 20 bucks. I dont know if theres enough flow in the tank. The outer edges of the coral is moving quite nicely, its just the ones in the center that sway a bit but not really noticeable.

i think you should be fine, as long as you dont see any signs of something going wrong i wouldnt worry about it

i think you should be fine, as long as you dont see any signs of something going wrong i wouldnt worry about it

Anything I should be looking for the next few days? I'm not too sure as to what to look for after getting coral. lol I just know most of my limits

is it ok to stick the torch in the sand? There wasn't a piece of rubble or a frag plug

Back
Top Bottom