Canister questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. Hopefully gonna get my nano goin soon... im using my fluval 305 and ive got a couple questions.

1st. What should i run for media? Its an older one with some old ceramic rings. My buddy said yo bleach them and rinse them really good. But is there anything better? Ive got some carbon packs, floss pads or should i just throw a couple small hunks of lr in there?

2nd. Can i add a control valve to the spraybar so i can dial back the flow a little or will that cause problems?

Thanks all

Don't know what size nano ur gonna have but I just bought a fluval 305 for my 30gallon. And with the spraybar attachment, it's the perfect combo of filter and current. I left the ceramic media in for now and I'm using the carbon supplied. I might change up eventually. The fluval is just a backup to my liverock and skimmer. What I consider the two most important parts of my filtration. It works better for me than powerheads. But only because the design of my tank. If u bleach the ceramic, make sure u soak them awhile in clean water. Then let em dry thoroughly

Crabs said:
Don't know what size nano ur gonna have but I just bought a fluval 305 for my 30gallon. And with the spraybar attachment, it's the perfect combo of filter and current. I left the ceramic media in for now and I'm using the carbon supplied. I might change up eventually. The fluval is just a backup to my liverock and skimmer. What I consider the two most important parts of my filtration. It works better for me than powerheads. But only because the design of my tank. If u bleach the ceramic, make sure u soak them awhile in clean water. Then let em dry thoroughly

My tank is a ten gal bowfront. How much are ceramic rings? My buddy said expensive but if they arent id rather by new and not worry about killing everything...

Another thing. U could use LR rubble instead of the rings. And I don't know how old ur fluval 305 is, but even the old fluval 405 I have on my FW tank has a flow adjustment right where the hoses connect to the canister, just above the disconnect. My new 305 has it as well. Down the road u might consider using chemipure Elite instead of carbon. Thats the good part of using the canisters. There r many options

Crabs said:
Another thing. U could use LR rubble instead of the rings. And I don't know how old ur fluval 305 is, but even the old fluval 405 I have on my FW tank has a flow adjustment right where the hoses connect to the canister, just above the disconnect. My new 305 has it as well. Down the road u might consider using chemipure Elite instead of carbon. Thats the good part of using the canisters. There r many options

Is this it?

ForumRunner_20120211_170433.jpg

Yes thats the flow restricter. I think I read somewhere that u don't want to restrict the flow by more than 50%. A 305 on a 10 gal might present a real challenge. You can probably figure something out. Might have to split the return flow. But any way you end up doing it, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to restrict the flow somewhat

Crabs said:
Yes thats the flow restricter. I think I read somewhere that u don't want to restrict the flow by more than 50%. A 305 on a 10 gal might present a real challenge. You can probably figure something out. Might have to split the return flow. But any way you end up doing it, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to restrict the flow somewhat

Ill try and get it hooked up tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom