Can't figure this one out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! :)
I started up my first saltwater tank over the summer and am just now coming into my first problem and I can't figure out what is going on or how to fix it. It was doing so well up until 3 or so weeks ago. I have 2 zoa colonies, a star polyp colony, a duncan, some grassy looking coral (any idea what it is?), and four shrooms. Here is the problem. My favorite zoa colony decided to close up on me for the first time since I got it in july. I did some research and read that they can sometimes just close for a couple weeks for no particular reason. I thought, ok, I'll wait it out, maybe he is just being shy. In those two weeks it looked like some of the polyps really wanted to open, but didn't all the way. I got the master reef test kit, I know should have already had it. I did a couple water changes early hoping that would coax them to open. They did for a day, then went back to staying closed. Now I come to you guys for advice and input. The nitrates have been high (80 ppm ,then yesterday pre water change 40 ppm).

The tank: nuvo 4 gallon nano

Lighting: nuvo 4 gallon stock lighting, and the stock lighting for an eight gallon nuvo. Both are Skkye lights

Temp: 78-80 degrees
Nitrates: 20 ppm (Just now)
KH : 286.4 ppmKH
Phosphates: 0-.1 ppm
Calcium: 660 mg/l

I know the nitrates are high, but i didn't want to change the full water (about 3 gallons) volume in one go yesterday and wanted your guy's opinions before i do more. What could be causing the zoa colony to be shut? There is a spaghetti worm residing in the rock right below the zoa and it does touch the zoa with its feelers. Maybe him irritating it? Or could the nitrates simply be too high for too long? Go ahead and change another gallon tonight? I was also wondering if it might just be using it's energy to make new polyps. While it's been closed 12 new polyps have begun to grow in threes weeks. Faster than it has since i've owned it. Maybe it's just tired?

Top right pick: What they were like everyday up until a few weeks ago.
Top Left pick: After a 1 gallon (33%) water change a week ago.
Bottom left pic: Today, after a 1 gallon water change yesterday and 20ppm nitrates, They are peeking but not opening.

Attachments

• 20141005_231745.jpg
    20141005_231745.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20141006_162251.jpg
    20141006_162251.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 75
  • 20141015_201122.jpg
    20141015_201122.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 85
In my experience, zoas are real picky and sometimes just don't wanna open. I've bribed them with food and they'd stay shut some days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your alk is incredibly high. 286 ppm=16 dKh. What test kit is that with?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom