Challenging 8G. Nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefjcrane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I would like to first thank each and everyone here for their guidance and support via their trials and errors.

I have been researching & studying for a good 6 months before I got going, reading every thread here along the way, so here is what I got working, with a few questions to follow. Sorry if long, but I want to do this slow and right, not taking any life nor health.

This is a 8G. jellyfish arts tank with some mods:
( I was never planning on jellyfish, just like the look of tank)
Took out led light. Made a cool shell lamp with it, pics attached just for fun!

Took out the bubble "bar" thing on the side. I kept the valve under attached incase later was going to use as an out line to refuge or something.

I have- just for the cycle: (1-1/2 weeks)
Small rio 50 powerhead, bubbler,
hob filter - with LR, those round rocks from original tank, sponge for cloudiness,
beta heater-@83.5 deg.
6.5#- live rock, 3# live sand- both Fiji.
Coral skeleton.
Api test kit, digi thermo.

Ph-7.8
Amm- 4ppm goes to 0 overnight last 2 nights NitrIte-5+- hasn't changed since it showed up- about 4 days ago
NitrAte- 40
Temp- heater on- 83 Deg.
Salinity- 1.002 - 1.005 (hydroMeter)

LFS water and my own salt mixing

what I ordered from a few different Reef/aquarium stores via all your recommendations:

Ro/di unit- be here tues. it is a portable one, 100 G / day. I will tap into my bathroom, and keep a 5 gal plastic water jug, for daily tops and weekly 10% changing.

Refractometer - should have been here already:(

I am needing some advice from your experience for:
Lighting. Im looking into a lamp of sorts.
and ideas for this shape of tank? Maybe 2 mini spot leds pointed in diff. Directions? I don't know about this. Sorry
6" x8" top with acrylic sides (see pic)

Powerhead? Looking at koralia 240, to much?

This tank gets great flow due to its shape, maybe to much?

I am thinking, just for good balance, to use the hob filter for movement, w/ chaeto, and LR.

Do the nitrites seem high? Am i stalling this cycle? I am adding a little pure ammonia to keep at 2-4ppm

I want to full cycle and then go another couple weeks before I add CUC. and obviously many months before the few soft corals. that is all I am planning on this build.

-Ok to do or should I add CUC when my cycle is complete? Afraid wont be any food.

I want to make sure i have a comfortable level with my water permitters and heating as being in NY through the winter before i get crazy with any coral.

I know this is a challenge, but I'm passionate.... Almost addicted.

Any advice or discussions for this build?

Thanks again & I hope to hear from someone.

Attachments

• image-2511804777.jpg
    image-2511804777.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 206
  • image-135462421.jpg
    image-135462421.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 213
  • image-4143008395.jpg
    image-4143008395.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 229
  • image-4291517028.jpg
    image-4291517028.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 215
  • image-2558444711.jpg
    image-2558444711.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image-4065787810.jpg
    image-4065787810.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 223
*edit.

The amm. Is dropping from 4ppm to 1ppm in 12 hours while the nitrIte is staying at 5.

experience?

Stop adding ammonia its just causing the good bacteria to break it into nitrite therefore making you levels stay the same. Just let it sit now and when you are done cycle add small CUC like a few snails and a hermit then a week later add corals slowly 1-3 at a time then a shrimp like a cleaner

You said your salinity is 1.002 to 1.005? That is terribly low. You want to aim for 1.023 to 1.025.

Also id lower your heater to like 76-78 degrees. 83 is pretty high for a marine tank.

Oh, sorry i missed the (2), salinity is 1.025.

As far as the heat, with the heater off its staying around 73.5. That was consistent over a few days.
I was running the heater for the cycle, as I am under the assumption its better to be hot for the BB.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I prob. Need a better heater for the tank, a small adjustable.

Installed new ro/di..... Yeah baby!

But cycle question again.
Hope this is my head getting impatient. readings:
Am- 0-
NitrIte- <5
NitrAte-40
Ph-7.8
Salanity-1.025

Nitrite has stayed here for about 5 days. Keeping a spreadsheet. Is this a normal high?

NitrIte eating bacteria take longer to build up that ammonia eating bacteria. It is very normal for it to take a while longer before those levels go to 0 overnight. They're there tho, as you are seeing nitrAte being created.
Patience Grasshopper.

Led: Aqua Illumination Super Blue Nano Sol -

Does anyone has experience with this light?

Im looking for the perfect light. It will be quite some time before I need it, but I have been investigating for a while now.

My top is 6"x8", so its a perfect fit ascetically, but questioning if its a GREAT, fit for soft coral?

I don't just want a good light. I would like the perfect light for this build.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com...llumination-Super-Blue-Nano-Sol-387p10756.htm

Haha i to checked this light out and ultimately decided it was the light for the job the tank was never built but its what i planned to use. I'd honestly get just the regular not super blue and in a5-6 gallon tank 35w is plenty thats around 6w per gallon which is good for sps. (Although the watts per gallon is out dated t works in this situation)

CUC -

Nitrite dropped from 5 down to .25ppm
Nitrate is at 10ppm
Ph 8.0
Amm 0ppm

Mixing salt now for 24 hours.
Before 50% water change.

Diatoms - i assume are starting to cover sand and acrylic.

Thinking to get a couple tiny shrimp and snails.
And cheato for the hob. Or should i just ax the hob?

Thanks for all the advice and help here. Was getting anxious

The al sols are nice but you could keep anything with a par38 bulb for much cheaper.

Check out OCreef, or rapidLED. They both have good par38s.

Nice! Thanks for that OC site.
I think the par 38 bulb is defiantly the way I'm going to go. Plus i can make a custom fixture for it and save a couple bills.

Dont get shrimp right off the bat get a hermit crab and a few snails they are way more hardy

I went with the 18x3w. 12 whites & 6 blues.
Cant remember brand cree??

Would like more blue hint, but I am not good with lighting terminology, or lighting. Everything else makes involved here sense so far but the lighting.

It only raised the temp 0.1 degree, so pretty nice of that.

I only have a red leg crab and a few snails so far.
Ready to get a coral, was waiting on this light and testing of permitters after. Plus the weather to change to see of any temp issues.
All prams. are great!

Thanks again for the light advice!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388457994.877806.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388457994.877806.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388457994.877806.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom