Changing filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
When changing a filter cartridge on an HOB filter, should I just remove the cartridge, put then new one in, and start it up again, or will that release some of the particles that were trapped by the previous cartridge?

I just rinse them in tap water once a week until they get as clean as they're going to get then give them another short rinse in RO water to remove the chlorine. You can use a cartridge for months until it's almost falling apart before replacing it. When it comes time to replace it don't worry about the particles to much. You'll always get some released into the tank. It's the nature of the beast.

Hi i am kinda new as this too but wont rinsing the filter IN TAP WATER kill the BB ??? IMO i would just rinse the filter in a bucket of tank water when i do my PWC again IMO

Hi i am kinda new as this too but wont rinsing the filter kill the BB ??? IMO i would just rinse the filter in a bucket of tank water when i do my PWC again IMO

Correct you want to rinse your media in tank water when you do your water change. Never rinse your media in regular water that will kill your BB.

What are the disadvantages of killing the BB? I never have any problems, I just rinse it in the sink and place it back it. However, my friend did the same thing, but when he turned his filter back on, debris came out and clouded his water for days. This happened because when he removed the old cartridge, there was still debris in the bottom of the filter, and when he put the new cartridge in, there was still debris in front of the cartridge and when the filter started up, the particles came spewing out. I was just wondering what I could do to ensure this doesn't happen because it would most likely be game over for and of my marine-life.

Disadvantage would be killing your BB and starting a cycle over again when it didn't have to be that way.

More testing that could have been avoided.

More frequent water changes to keep parameters in check

Using more Prime due to the more frequent water changes.

Unwanted stress on your fish.

Just to mention a few.

Ok, do if you want a little bit, why not just rinse a little bit of it in RO/DI water?

RO water would be ok but if you are doing weekly water changes why would not just rinse in a bucket of tank water and i only rinse my filter maybe once a month. if it needs it

You are right about that. Thanks for the input, I will certainly do so, however it may be kind of difficult since I have a 2.5 gallon and water changes are only ~1/4-1/2 gallon

I disagree. In a reef you want the rock to harbor your BB, not the sponges. Sponges with active bacteria can increase your nitrates faster than your rock alone will. If the tank is overpopulated with fish then the bacteria on the pads may be needed, otherwise it's fine. It's the same principal with large sump systems where the sock is washed or changed weekly.

I disagree. In a reef you want the rock to harbor your BB, not the sponges. Sponges with active bacteria can increase your nitrates faster than your rock alone will. If the tank is overpopulated with fish then the bacteria on the pads may be needed, otherwise it's fine. It's the same principal with large sump systems where the sock is washed or changed weekly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correct! My fault. I thought we were talking freshwater. I'm going to hide in a corner now. Guess it happens right? Someone? Anyone?

EDIT:

And it wasn't even that late lol. Again sorry for the giving the wrong advice.

Convict2161 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correct! My fault. I thought we were talking freshwater. I'm going to hide in a corner now. Guess it happens right? Someone? Anyone?

EDIT:

And it wasn't even that late lol. Again sorry for the giving the wrong advice.

We've all been there. lol

It's hard to keep track of all the different tanks on the forum. Not to mention that the rules are so different for each kind of systems. :)

Back
Top Bottom