ChizerBunoi - 24G JBJ Nano Cube reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@iDreamInSaltwater - It is just the standard 14K bulb that originally came with the light. I never changed this light so it is almost 2 years old now? It's also the angle at which I had to take these pictures to prevent glare on the glass.

Batch 2 Update - These little guys were actually more healthier than the last batch. They got bigger and almost made it. Unfortunately, Mr. Mithrax Crab decided to devour them all. The next time he pops around, I'm gonna take him out.

14k? thats pretty white, maybe settings on your camera or time for a new bulb?

anyway, definitely hoping to see the new batch do well, darn emeralds!

We'll it's been a while since I last posted.

Batch #2 - This batch did not make as mentioned in the previous posting. The mithrax crab is deadly.
IMG_2282.jpg

Oy, stop taking candid shots of me and let me do my job.
IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

This time is sad because they never went this far before.

Bubble Tip Anemone - before
IMG_2303.JPG

Eating some brine shrimp. Flash is in the way but the tentacles close around the food and shove the brine shrimp to its mouth.
IMG_2286.JPG

Just before sunlight first thing in the morning
IMG_2306.JPG

Batch #3 was laid on February 23, 2011. The last time was February 8th so that is exactly 15 days again. Boy they are dead on again.

These images were taken 11 days after they were laid.
IMG_2310.JPG

That's right, I blurry all your images. hahaha
IMG_2311.JPG

This batch was eaten up also. This time, the Mithrax scouted the location out from a rock the entire day and then the next morning, they were all gone.

Waaaahh
IMG_2313.JPG

Hi, I'm Bunoi and this is my anenemenemmy...anemeomommy.
IMG_2316.JPG

Green Star Polyps
IMG_2317.JPG

Pulsing Xenia
IMG_2318.JPG

Batch #4 - I don't remember when they were laid due to the terrible news in Japan, my attention has been diverted. I don't think it was exactly 15 days from batch #3.

This time they got smarted and laid their eggs at the highest peak in that cove.
IMG_2335.JPG

That's great because I'm sure sick of taking the same picture all the time.

On February 13th the anemone split into two
IMG_2330.JPG

Is the mithrax out now? And I'm surprised your xenia is only one stalk right now, mine didn't stay that way for very long

Is the mithrax out now? And I'm surprised your xenia is only one stalk right now, mine didn't stay that way for very long

Yes I finally took the crab out. He put up a good fight but we got him in the fourth round. The xenia hasn't done much. I didn't realize that it needed water flow so now it's in the direction of a powerhead.

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

April 12, 2011

Can you find Nemo?
IMG_2376.jpg

We'll we decided to re-arrange the office and setup the fish tank in the middle of our sitting area. The tank looks perfect where it is now. However, it does get a lot of direct sunlight in the morning and I can see all sorts of algae attacking the tank like crazy. Besides the daily diatoms, there is some major green hair algae and red cyano growing. Let's see how long it takes before all the rocks are covered in this stuff. :shocked!:

IMG_2375.jpg

I found Nemo. Wait a minute......:(
IMG_2379.jpg

During this move, all critters except for one black turbo snail was left in the tank. No more baby snatching. This time, we are guaranteed to see some swimming babies. I don't remember when these eggs were laid as I stopped keeping track.

IMG_2377.jpg

6 days later, the babies are all hatched.
IMG_2382.jpg

I played around with my blue moon light. These pictures don't even compare to what it looks like in person.

Green Star Polyps
IMG_2385.jpg

Bubble Tip Anemone
IMG_2386.jpg

Montipora Capicornis
IMG_2387.jpg

Zoanthids
IMG_2388.jpg

Ever think about getting some Black Perculas but want them to be orange during the day? Turn on your blue actinics only.

What it's Halloween already?
IMG_2389.jpg

That's all folks. Can you spot all the different types of algae?
IMG_2397.jpg

Awesome shots! Seen any fry yet?

I've seen tons of fry. They must have 80 - 100 each time. They hatch and survive for a good while but then...the inevitable happens.

Today I came home from work and there were only 5 left. After going through those links that were originally posted on page 2?? I now realize that the fry cannot be free swimming with the parents in the tank. I have to take them out if I want them to survive. Maybe someday in the future I'll give it a go, but with my busy life and summer coming, I won't have the time to start up another tank.

I also haven't been feeding them either and assumed that the parents were feeding them. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

Remember that last picture? My entire tank is covered with pink/purple coraline algae now. The hair algae has also died down dramatically. Time for more corals.

Brain Coral

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

Green Star Polyps
IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Pulsing Xenia
IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom