ChizerBunoi - 24G JBJ Nano Cube reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChizerBunoi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ChizerBunoi's Nano Reef Tank

IMG_1802.jpg

I thought it was time to start a journal about my nano reef tank. The tank is a JBJ Nano-Cube 24 with the Viper 150 watt HQI. I picked this tank up at a steal of a price and it included the tank, light with bulb, new glass tops, upgraded powerhead (Maxi-Jet MP-1200 Powerhead) for the sump, surface skimmer and stand. I'm using a Visi-Therm Submersible Heater 200-watt, Coralife Digital Thermometer, and a spare Hagen AquaClear 20 Powerhead for additional circulation within the tank. There is no protein skimmer and I don't ever have plans to purchase one.

I bought out the contents of someone elses nano tank. This included 45lbs of live rock, 2 false percula clown fish (mated pair), 2 hermit crabs and a bunch of other critters. I also added 5lbs of new live sand.

Here are some photos that I have taken over time.

Bubble Tip Anemone
IMG_1771.jpg

Pulsing Xenia
IMG_1806.jpg

Green Star Polyp
IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Hermie
IMG_1732.JPG

Hermione
IMG_1741.JPG

Hermie and Hermione
IMG_1740.jpg

Ahhh...I'm naked
IMG_2192.jpg

This is Chizer and Bunoi. They are both over 6 years old and are tank raised.
IMG_1742.JPG

Chizer (female)
IMG_2162.jpg

I decided to work from home today and witness something very special.

Bunoi (male) - tending to flock
IMG_2220.jpg

They had never had any babies together before so this is a new experience for me. I'm going to ask everyone for some help. I have been successful at breeding many types of cichlids before but never clownfish. I wonder what will happen when I change the water and wipe down the glass.

IMG_2221.jpg

I'm going to keep this journal up to date with my observations. Should be interesting for anyone who wants to follow. BTW, I feed them New Life Spectrum, frozen Mysis/Brine shrimp and blood worms. SG is at 1.021.

It's also interesting that I have a Coralife Hydrometer and a eBay Refractometer. The Coralife has never been vinegar dipped before and works much better than the eBay refractometer which requires frequent re-calibration. I just make sure that the hydrometer gets rinsed properly each time. I highly recommend that hydrometer.

Cool. Hope those babies hatch. Mine have done that but nothing ever comes from it. Maybe getting eaten. Not sure. Good luck.

Am watching this tread when I bought my clown the lfs said he said thwy are looking nearly ready to spawn so I'm holding some to time in the near future mine do. I'll be following and looking for advice incase mine 'fingers crossed' do decide to do the deed lol.

@Bige - Thanks. They are in a tank by themselves so hopefully they have a good chance.

@Loynzey - Good luck with your clowns. I'm keeping my "fingers crossed" too.

Coral warfare: Xenia versus Bubble Tip Anemone
IMG_2224.jpg

Aiptasia versus Polys
IMG_2230.jpg

Montipora capricornis
IMG_2225.jpg

Lobophytum sp. (Devils Hand Leather)
IMG_2226.jpg

Sarcophyton sp. (Toadstool Leather)
IMG_2227.jpg

For those who are wondering,I have the following items in my sump:

Compartment one - filter floss and sponge (changed out weekly) and live rock
Compartment two - live rock
Compartment three - Maxijet 1200 pump

Bunoi is getting extremely defensive, especially when I look in on that side of the tank. They weren't happy when the magnet cleaned so close to the eggs. I can now see little tips on these eggs.

Bunoi defending
IMG_2229.jpg

It is interesting how the male takes care of the eggs and the female eats all the food. :)

As I was changing out the sponges, a little shrimp fell out. I threw it into the tank and it ran right into the BTA.

Blue Legged Hermit - I was too lazy to clean the glass
IMG_2236.jpg

Well the eggs have now hatched and I can see much progress on them. Both parents are doing a great job of defending the eggs and check on them frequently between feedings. When I feed, I give them a little at time so that it doesn't pollute the tank. Then again, they are so fat that I must be over feeding.

4 Days Old
IMG_2231.jpg

5 Days Old
IMG_2238.jpg

8 Days Old - bad shot but the tails have now developed
IMG_2240.jpg

FTS
IMG_2239.jpg

very nice tank! would love to see picture of baby fishes swimming around.

@johmartz - Thanks.

@Loynzey - About half a year, but the previous owner had them for over 5 years.

@maxst2 - Thank you. I guess my problem was that I had other invertebrates in the tank.

DISASTER - Unfortunately, something ate all of the babies last night. At first I thought they moved the babies into a cave, but I can confirm now that they are gone. I feel really bad because Bunoi keeps running back to the rock to see if they are still there.

Some parenting observations.

Prior to breeding, the male will clean an area simlar to Cichlids. I have sand in my tank so he removed it until it was bare bottom.

The ritual dance is like Cichlids, except the male shakes side ways (entire body goes horizontal) like he has a seizure. The female doesn't shake at all and just bully's the male.

They both pick up their fry with their mouths and reattach them else where (or should they fall off). I guess the fry are still sticky and will adhere to the surface of the live rock. It will look like they are nibbling them.

The male does all of the tending and is extremely stressed out. He is constantly fans the eggs vigorously to ensure that enough oxygen gets to them and to prevent fungus growth.

My male is doing this, he goes right down to the sand bend and shakes all the sand around.... And the female does kinda bully him always seems to spear him like a changing bull does this mean they may be close ??? I've never seem the male cleaning any part of my rock!

I'm really sorry that the babies are gone. they should spawn again though right

Ideally if you want to raise clown fish, you'll need rots for food then powdered flake. ALL in another tank.

Your pair will lay another batch of eggs roughly 4-5 days after that batch hatches... which will take lil over 7 days.. 7th night you should turn off the pumps and lights. About an hour later shine a flashlight into the tank and you should be able to scoop them out.

Read pickles and lalani's journals.... they are great info.

@Loynzey - That is great news. Hopefully the female will take the bait. From what I have read, they will mate again within the month.

@maxst2 - I don't intend to breed them. It just happened. I just enjoy having the pair of them around. I will definitely check out those journals though, thanks for the reference.

Time for an update. I didn't like the previous layout so I moved some rocks around. This new layout is more attractive to my eyes, and looks like some sort of mountain top. The Bubble Tip Anemone is the center of attention and no longer battles it out with the Xenia.

Full Tank Shot
IMG_2258.jpg

Let the games begin.
IMG_2246.jpg

Here you can see Chizer's (female) egg tube. It is noticeably larger than Bunoi's.
IMG_2264.JPG

The last time they breeded was on January 25th and today is February 8th. That was exactly 15 days ago. :)

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

Let's see how this batch fairs.

Do you have a bare bottom, except put front? I am about to remove my sand and do the same.

@Bige - IDreamInSaltwater is correct.

Nothing new today. All the babies are still there and everyone is happy.

Back
Top Bottom