classklowns-Fluval spec build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what are my coral limits with 27 watts of pc? I'd like to try a acro or birds nest near the top. Is that pushing my limits?

i think youd be fine with acro or birds nest personally. and may i say. i hate you lol i was trying to get away from another pico build! :p

The spec might not have enough flow for acro and birds nest SPS. Its not just light they need but also water quality. Digitata and Horn Coral are the easier SPS, so it's probably better to start with one of those. What ever you decide make sure you put it higher in the tank where the and light are strongest.

Badfishofbabylon said:
The spec might not have enough flow for acro and birds nest SPS. Its not just light they need but also water quality. Digitata and Horn Coral are the easier SPS, so it's probably better to start with one of those. What ever you decide make sure you put it higher in the tank where the and light are strongest.

he can change pumps. And plus flow wise the tank I hope would push 10-20 gph.

Yea I have a nice stage uptop for sps corals also I belive the flow rate is 40 gph and it seems quite good for the size

The turn over rate is good, but unless you added another ph the only flow comes from the return at the top and it creates a lot of dead space in the tank. I'm not saying it can't be done but I just suggesting starting with an easier SPS first. But its good you have a place up top for SPS. Either way I am interested in how it turns out, Good luck. Sorry if I seem like I'm a being Denny downer

@badfish- nah your not being a downer, just helpful and like nemo said, it is adjustable. I cant fit a PH in there so if the return isnt enough then I will have to ditch the idea.

@carey- haha I will soon, this is my favorite tank, I wish I could find some different colored zoas for it, Ive bought all the ones my lfs has to offer :p. As soon as I add something I will have more pics

I just know how small the Spec is and when acro dies it's usually sheds all it's flesh and it can cause a big headache in that small of a system. A good place to get crazy zoas on the cheap is frag swaps, look online and see if you have any local clubs hosting them. Also Acans did really well in my spec and they are some of the most colorful corals.

yea ive been to one frag swap already, unfortunately i only had my biocube at the time and I havent been able to find another swap since then, il have to try the acans, thanks a bunch

might wait until i find my camera. tank looks great though. no live stock except a pom pom crab which always hides -_-

A few pics

Attachments

• IMG-20111218-00060.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00060.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20111218-00061.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00061.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-20111218-00065.jpg
    IMG-20111218-00065.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-20111218-00066.jpg