classklowns-Fluval spec build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So as an impulse buy, I recently got a Fluval spec. I love the design and AIO ability of the tank. I have read that the lights arent very good. I really wanted to just have some zoas and shrooms maybe a small torch. I find it hard to believe that the light cannot even support zoas. Any opinions? pics will be up soon

The little LED fixture? I wouldn't trust that to support a thing

Maybe look up the Finnex 4G clip-on light, it's a tri-tube PC light with 2 moonlight LEDs, lemme see if I can find a link..

Here we go: Amazon.com: CL26SL: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 3U Blue White Bulb & Moonlight LED - SILVER GREY: Home & Garden

They have a black one if you want that too, just look on amazon and make sure you get the "blue white 3 U tube" one, not the refugium one.

Definitely gonna tag along for this thread :popcorn:

thats pretty neat and cheap, I will have to pick that up but only after I try out these stock lights, I want to see if they can support anything, unless anyone has already tried? LFS said they could support soft and they have never lied to make a sale. I should have no cycle as I used new sand, rock from my biocube and water from there as well lol. im goona add a small zoa frag and see if it starts to die or is fine. What signs should I look for to know if it is doing fine? (besides the obvious,it grows more) BTW dream, pics will be up tmm. It looks fantastic :)

EDIT: what can those lights that you linked me to support?

You should deffently change the light, the stock led are worthless. You may be able to keep mushrooms with it but not zoas. Good luck with the tank, I can't wait to see another spec up.

Yeah, I'm with badfish. Of course you can try but move them to one of your other tanks if they're stretching really far for light, bleaching, or not opening at all.

You'll probably see little to no cycle, but watch to see if you catch a mini-cycle, don't wanna add some livestock only to have it killed off by a mini-cycle.

With that light you could definitely do LPS. If you want a stronger light for possibly SPS or clams I can suggest an LED bulb, it's obviously more expensive but for the power you get it's not a bad price at all

well the zoa frag I have in now looks great granted its only been 2 days. I will most likely order that light in the next week or two. Here are some pics of the tank so far, they are from yesterday however so its cloudy and they are not the best.

The Stocklist so far is:
1 zoa frag
1 hitchhiker snail

I shall see what hppens to the hiker over a week and then test, if all looks good, ill be adding my cuc and eventually sexy shrimp ;)

Attachments

• fluval 1.jpg
    fluval 1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 328
  • fluval 2.jpg
    fluval 2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 413
  • fluval 3.jpg
    fluval 3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 341
  • fluval 4.jpg
    fluval 4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 395
Thanks :) yeah it looks better in person and now thats its clear. as soon as I add something, ill get some more fts shots. def worth the money, great design minus the lights i guess tho they seem very bright

The review isn't that good for it.
"2.0 out of 5 stars not really that bright, March 9, 2011
By Laura (NYC) "
You could get it and try, It would probably work for mushrooms.
I use these on one of my specs, I just wired up 2 lamp sockets and used these bulbs. Amazon.com: Mini Power Compact Lamp - 50/50 - 10W - 6 in.: Home & Garden
Its really easy to do and cheap, besides the bulbs its around another $15 to make it. My tank has been doing awesome under 2 of them. I Just still haven't been able to keep Zoas happy with them

I think it's 27w, lemme see if I can find it again. Okay, yes that it the one.

I will admit badfish's PC spec looks awesome, color and everything despite it being PC (MUCH better color than the Biocube for sure)

If you wanna go crazy and keep anything you can use one of these babies:

5 LED PAR30 Bulb (This one is out of stock right now)

BoostLED (MANY color combos to choose from)

They screw in to any regular light bulb socket and could support ANYTHING your heart desires (I've seen them keep maxi-mini nems). They are a bit higher in price (around $75) but totally worth it for any pico IMO. Definitely get 60 degree optics as well

thanks guys.

@badfish: you said you use two of those bulbs and they are 10 watts each, coreys light said 27 watts so shouldnt that be as good if not better than yours? or am i missing something? lighting is the one thing i still am not good with

It is definitely a good light, those people who reviewed aren't necessarily hobbyists who truly know what they're talking about.

I think it'd be all you need IMO, no DIY necessary unless that's what you wanna do

yea im not a diy guy so i think im goona order it friday, ill put pics up after. plus i like how it hs moonlights too

Cool, cool. Can't wait to see some pics, I'm sure you'll have no prob keeping mushrooms, and some LPS. I am interested in see if it's strong enough for Zoas. Keep us posted

much needed update

So I have some updated pics and info. So far all is going well. I added about 2 more poundsof rock (most in the back chamber) bringing it to about 4 or 5 lbs total. The stock light actually kept the zoas alive just fine! I was very surprised but I ran into some extra money so I upgraded to coreys suggestion.

My current stock list is:
2 red leg hermits
2 blue leg hermits
1 sexy shrimp
1 tiny mushroom
1 tiny zoa frag
red gracillera algae(i know that is crazy mispelled lol)
few assorted snails

let me know what you think

Attachments

• fluval 1.jpg
    fluval 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 346
  • fluval 2.jpg
    fluval 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 318
  • fluval 3.jpg
    fluval 3.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 357
  • fluval 4.jpg
    fluval 4.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 332
I have 27 watts of PC over this bad boy. What can I keep under this? im keeping some rics right now with no issues

Personally let it sit for awhile. You've put load of things in already. Not too much more you can put in there really. Maybe another zoa frag?

Back
Top Bottom