Cloudy tank/sand settling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am having an issue with the sand settling in my 12 gallon tank. I set it up a week ago....sand and LR

After 3 days of the tank still being very cloudy i got a HOB to run and have been changing out the filter pad twice a day (this is just for getting the tank to clear up, not for normal filtration once it gets going)
The tank gets clear enough to see through, but it still is a bit cloudy and has a lot of floating particulate in the water. I never had this issue with any other tank, but then again i never set anything up so small before. Any suggestions?
Also, I haven't started the cycle on the tank yet, I was waiting until i got this issue settled. Think i should go ahead and throw in a shrimp or should i wait to get this issue fixed? Thanks!

IMO go ahead and start cycling. No need to wait, the shrimp doesn't care how cloudy the water is. :)

Did you rinse the sand at all before adding it?

I'd say just to be patient with it. Try cutting off all the filtration and see if that helps it settle. It took my 45 gallon about 6-7 days before it was really "clear", and that was with rinsed sand and no filtration going.

Yes best to turn off and pumps for day to let things settle . Then when you turn them on things may go cloudy as the flow will stir it up till things settle in completly.

I agree with getting the cycle going...no need to wait as DT said...as for the cloudiness...it will settle down...

CLOUDY MARINE TANK

I WAS WONDERING HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR THE SAND TO SETTLE AS HAVE ADDED LIVE SAND TO MY TANK AND IT STILL LOOKS ALOT CLOUDY.
ALSO WHEN DO I NEED TO ADD MY SALT MIXTURE IN.

Hi badboyque,

Here is what i think you should. If u havent added the salt go add it now. After you get the right salt level, go head and add the shrimp. 2-6 week later your tank will be ready :) btw ignore the cloud you've got along time to let it settle.

And FYI, dont be afraid to start you own topic for your problems :)

Back
Top Bottom