Clown Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tidders1980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I have just added a clown fish to my tank, how often should I feed him. Do i feed him every other day or less more often ??

Awesome !! Try maybe once a day because the more you feed them the more they release toxins into water aka poop but def not the recommended two to three times a day

I feed my reef fish twice a day and mix the food up and them once a day every other day

Weekly 25 % water changed etc....

Well it's only a small thank I have a external filter one cleaning station shrimp two hermit crabs and snails the Clown will be the only fish will plan to put some corals in a mont or so once he's settled . The tank is just under 30 gallons so not big.

Sorry the tank is 25 gallons its been running 4 months doing good clown has been in 2 days thank you for your advice I thought it was feed every other day so will feed him every day when is the best time morning or night and how much I have mixed frozen cubes which I thaw a bit out with tank water

tidders1980 said:
Sorry the tank is 25 gallons its been running 4 months doing good clown has been in 2 days thank you for your advice I thought it was feed every other day so will feed him every day when is the best time morning or night and how much I have mixed frozen cubes which I thaw a bit out with tank water

It all depends on your schedule like with me I'm out of house when lights are off and come home at 4 so I feed a little at 4 and 9 before they go to sleep ...two times on one day the next once at 4 when I get home ...my reef is a 29 gal with a 10 gallon sump so with that feeding schedule it works well and doesn't mess the water up Tom much I do a 10 gallon water change weekly and test every two weeks

You should be good with another clown in there as well with no problems

Ok cool as I don't have a lot of stock do you think a quarter of a cube in the evening will do. Will the shrimp and hermits eat the left overs too??

I feed my clown pair thawed brine shrimp in tank water. they love it. once per day when I get home from work usually around 10-1030pm.

tidders1980 said:
Ok cool as I don't have a lot of stock do you think a quarter of a cube in the evening will do. Will the shrimp and hermits eat the left overs too??

Take a cube put it In a little container and thaw it in fridge use some tank water to make it melt quicker and then squirt it In with a syringe it's not about the amount of cube but make sure you feed them little by little you don't want food flying around your tank

Reefpete said:
Take a cube put it In a little container and thaw it in fridge use some tank water to make it melt quicker and then squirt it In with a syringe it's not about the amount of cube but make sure you feed them little by little you don't want food flying around your tank

Ok cool will but a syringe tomorrow I put some in tonight and it was flying every where as I have a power head in there too so you can imagine the mess. So do use the who cube ?? Only reason I ask don't want to over feed and ending up doing a emergency pw change due to my levels spiking

tidders1980 said:
Ok cool will but a syringe tomorrow I put some in tonight and it was flying every where as I have a power head in there too so you can imagine the mess. So do use the who cube ?? Only reason I ask don't want to over feed and ending up doing a emergency pw change due to my levels spiking

Lol I hear ya that's why I use the syringe and squirt little at a time and no way lol the whole cube is way to much melt like four cubes in a container and let that sit in the fridge and when its dinner time take it our and use a little like I use 1-2 ml of brine Shrimp for my fish which includes three blue green chromosome, two clowns, a long nose hawk, and two gobies plus three shrimp a cleaner a peppermint and pistol ....mind you not all fish and shrimp Etc will get the same amount of food every feeding but they will get food lol more sometimes than others

I think for your setup take a little brine shrimp in the syringe and see how much he eats squirting little by little enough so he finishes what you squirt and see how much he eats I figure not evn 1 ml for one clown lol

And also I add garlic guard to the brine to help out with the fishes immune system and because they go nuts over it lol squirt a little on the brine and let it soak in good

image-891997090.jpg

Also remember in my pic is how much I use to feed 8 fish and I also throw in some flake and pellets not a lot though the brine with garlic is like a candy treat for them as brine shrimp really has no nutritional value

Reefpete said:
Also remember in my pic is how much I use to feed 8 fish and I also throw in some flake and pellets not a lot though the brine with garlic is like a candy treat for them as brine shrimp really has no nutritional value

Ok cool thank you will try that tomorrow when I feed him got to go to LFS tomorrow for water to will look for the garlic stuff. The food I'm giving him is a mixed cube as the LFS said the same as you they love brine but best to give them mixed as it more balanced so that's what I went for pulse the shrimp loves it too.

Thank you so much for your advice Marine is def more scary to start then tropic but worth the wait taken me 4 months to ad me fish so really happy been doing things to the letter think my other half has declared me OCD with making sure everything is good with the water ect lol once again thank you.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow

tidders1980 said:
Ok cool thank you will try that tomorrow when I feed him got to go to LFS tomorrow for water to will look for the garlic stuff. The food I'm giving him is a mixed cube as the LFS said the same as you they love brine but best to give them mixed as it more balanced so that's what I went for pulse the shrimp loves it too.

Thank you so much for your advice Marine is def more scary to start then tropic but worth the wait taken me 4 months to ad me fish so really happy been doing things to the letter think my other half has declared me OCD with making sure everything is good with the water ect lol once again thank you.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow

Yeah it's good to feed them a variety of foods And also to switch it up .... The saltwater life has it rewards and you get addicted my girlfriend says I'm crazy and I have problems lol how much I talk and deal with my tank haha it's a passion and I love it as do you .... Also instead of water from lfs go to ebay and search 100gpd portable rodi unit it's 65 bucks shipped and get the hose attachment and you can hook up to your outdoor. Water and have rodi water when you want it pays for itself ten times over

I have been feeding my 1 clown for about 1 month brine shrimp and my other clown and yellow tang brine shrimp as well since Thursday ( new fish) , you mentioned it does not have any nutritional value? What is recommended to feed this stock? Sorry to jump in on your thread.

TommyP said:
I have been feeding my 1 clown for about 1 month brine shrimp and my other clown and yellow tang brine shrimp as well since Thursday ( new fish) , you mentioned it does not have any nutritional value? What is recommended to feed this stock? Sorry to jump in on your thread.

Well what I meant was live brine has value as opposed to frozen dead brine ....The nutritional value of baby brine shrimps drops dramatically a few hours after hatching. Clowns eat brine, pellets I like with garlic added to stimulate their immune systems and the tang will eat both of those but don't forget to feed the tang seaweed as he is accustomed to eating in the wild or some sort of algae ... They sell seaweed clips that hang onto the inside if your tank and you can clip a piece of dried seaweed for him to graze on .... There nothing wrong with brine shrimp has value but not as much as a balanced diet

Thanks I just wanted clarification on that. The food I have been using is a thin sleeve of frozen brine shrimp that I cut off with a butter knife and let it thaw in tank water before i dump it in. I have been reading about my tang would need seaweed so I am going to pick some up friday since im sure petco will be closed on thanksgiving. Happy holidays btw everyone. What is the recommended feeding times/ amount for the yellow tang? 1 sheet of seaweed and just clip it in and let him eat when he wants or do I have to remove it ?

TommyP said:
Thanks I just wanted clarification on that. The food I have been using is a thin sleeve of frozen brine shrimp that I cut off with a butter knife and let it thaw in tank water before i dump it in. I have been reading about my tang would need seaweed so I am going to pick some up friday since im sure petco will be closed on thanksgiving. Happy holidays btw everyone. What is the recommended feeding times/ amount for the yellow tang? 1 sheet of seaweed and just clip it in and let him eat when he wants or do I have to remove it ?

Just tear off a small piece like I'd say 3inch by 3 inch n clip it and stick it on glass leave it there for couple hours and if he doesn't finish it all take it out and chuck it .... The tang feed when you feed the others they will take brine flakes pellets and seaweed algae etc if you need a clip I have one extra lying around I could mail it to you pm me if you want it it'll save you couple bucks lol

Back
Top Bottom