Concerns about my Raccoon Butterflyfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all! So basically, I saved a little Raccoon Butterflyfish about 6 days ago from petco. Anyways, I feed my fish brine/mysis shrimp every other day. I have him in a 29g biocube. I have fed him three times and not once have I seen him eat. I do have corals in there with him and realize that he likes to eat them. I have the majority of them covered so he can't get them but there are a few that grew on the glass and I have seen him nip them. BUT, to the point, what can I do to entice him to eat the shrimp? Or will he? He doesn't look skinny. It just worries me that he doesn't eat....please someone help! TIA!
- Lane Jordan

You never "rescue" a fish from a retail establishment, you purchase. Give it time to adjust. It's likely that it came into the store recently and is stressed. Unfortunately, it could carry disease as well. It will definitely need a larger tank so it would probably be a good idea to try to rehome / upgrade as soon as possible. Sorry to sound like a downer.... JMO.

If his Petco is anything like mine, IMO it was a rescue!! Their fish constantly have ich, and they'll get the same type fish the very next week. Nobody seems to really give a care.

If his Petco is anything like mine, IMO it was a rescue!! Their fish constantly have ich, and they'll get the same type fish the very next week. Nobody seems to really give a care.

A diseased fish was rescued (by payment) from a store tank and placed into an established tank that will be inappropriate in the long term. That's not a "rescue", that is current inhabitant endangerment at best. And, unfortunately encouragement for the store to order another. :(

He has at least taken it out of the 5 gal. holding cell that it was in!! A definite upgrade from its prior situation. I do agree that this is probably incentive for the store to get another...that is unfortunate. With this specific fish, the ball is in the OP's court, so to speak.
I do agree that the tank is too small, but at least it's a step in the right direction for the specific fish.

True, anything is better then petco... But i am still confused please enlighten me, what was wrong with the fish? Was he sick?

9/10 Your fish is stressed out. We all know chains like Petco don't have the best setups. The fish was in one of their 10 gal tanks which is stressful on fish, aside from being caught and transported to the store which is also stressful. If you want this fish to do well, get him into a larger tank and things should improve. Holding him with corals is setting yourself up to fail as well. It was already stated, but he might be nipping at your coral when you aren't looking and be part of the reason he doesn't want to eat the mysis.

Reactions: HN1
Thank you all for the responses. I do realize that this is not a sufficient tank for him. But, 1) he is really small. I know still not a reason but like said before, it's better than a small overstocked petco tank. Which here, he is with a goby and a few corals. Also, he was in a tank with lots of tangs and clowns that were chasing him. Plus, not to sound like I don't care because I do, he was only $15. So the payment of rescuing him was nothing compared to the gas I use everyday or anything else. I did not plan to keep him permanently but to just get him out of there. But my action will be wasted of he won't eat. And I am ok with him nipping at the stray coral. It's yellow Polps and so there are literally hundreds. The 6 on the glass wont be seriously missed. But I was just searching for anyone who has experience in getting fish like him to eat. Again thank you all for the concerns. It shows who really does care about their fish. :)

Also, (sorry) I did have some feather dusters that are in fact gone. He may have eaten them but it's just the fact that I haven't seen him eat shrimp. I may be over-reacting but I would rather be safe than sorry. <:/

Butterfly fish can be notoriously hard to get to eat. i would try a bunch of different frozen foods and see if he takes to any of them. My copperband like mysis, brine and bloodworms. My kleins butterfly also really like bloodworms for some reason....lol You can also try some frozen herbivore foods that have seaweed or algae in them, mine eats that as well.

carey said:
Butterfly fish can be notoriously hard to get to eat. i would try a bunch of different frozen foods and see if he takes to any of them. My copperband like mysis, brine and bloodworms. My kleins butterfly also really like bloodworms for some reason....lol You can also try some frozen herbivore foods that have seaweed or algae in them, mine eats that as well.

Thanks Carey! I will definitely get right on that! I'm trying my best to help this little guy. I also have found a potential home for him in a 125 gallon. :) thanks again'

My raccoon finally started eating when i minced up scallop and fresh shrimp. Try it u can almost promise you he will eat. All my butterflys were stubborn up till the fresh scallops enter the water, make sure to mince then really good. Now my butterfly eats pellet and prime reef flakes as well but scallop, mysis and shrimp notice meaty foods are his top choice!

Back
Top Bottom