Coral life bio cube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,

I'm just purchase a coral life biocube. I'm new to saltwater aquariums. Can anyone just explain to me on the process of setting up the tank to get a reef nano aquarium ? Is it necessary to purchase protein skimmer ? As far as buying live sand and salt mixes ..what other items do I need? Also I heard about Ro water system is that necessary or there's a different alternative to produce purify water for the aquarium ( least expensive)

Any advice will help?

Protein skimmers can be skipped in small nano systems as it is easier to do larger water changes if needed. You don't need to buy your sand or rock as live, you can get macro/base rock to save on money for other things. In terms of salt mixes, the basic mix will do most of the time.
RO water is a big help in saltwater setups, but we usually try to aim for ro/di water. Some people are lucky enough that they have great tap water, but it is very very unlikely to be ok. You can pick up nice ro/di units from ebay or bulkreefsupply.com that will do what you need. It looks like a huge price, but not having massive battles with algae and parameter issues will save on your stress level in the long run. I run ro water for over a year and do have algae issues on the one side of my tank, so it is doable to use these and be successful, but the price difference is just about the same as making your own ro/di water or buying RO from walmart.

Thank you for your help. As far as filtration system it's doesn't seem to work . I have the stock system with the media carbon in chamber 1 and chamber two is filled with the bio balls.. And the pump is very loud is there any possibility I can modify the filtration system? I saw on several site different filtration systems . I was wondering if u can walk me step by on how to do so? I don't believe the bio balls are not that great! Also my salinity levels are very high . How can I reduce it

Thank you for your help. As far as filtration system it's doesn't seem to work . I have the stock system with the media carbon in chamber 1 and chamber two is filled with the bio balls.. And the pump is very loud is there any possibility I can modify the filtration system? I saw on several site different filtration systems . I was wondering if u can walk me step by on how to do so? I don't believe the bio balls are not that great! Also my salinity levels are very high . How can I reduce it

Never ran an aio but if you check out nano-reef.com there are a lot of bio cubes on there with very detailed build threads on how the modified them. I know you can change out the pump though if that's the way you want to go. I would take the bio balls out as that's more if a fw thing. And how high is your salinity? Are you topping off to replace evaporation with ro?

My Biocube 14 has done great with an Intank media rack. I use filter floss ( which is really cheap to replace when dirty), Chemipure elite, and Purigen. It keeps your water crystal clear. I would recommend it. I had the bioballs and they did their job, but in the long run I only heard bad things about them harboring nitrates. I didn't want to have to switch out the bioballs after my tank was established. I've had my tank for 2 years and it's doing awesome. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I had several when I first started! Best of luck!

Any help is greatly appreciate! It's day 8 of my cycle . I did testing on my tank please follow below:
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrate n02= 0ppm
Nitrate n03= 5.0ppm
Hydrometer shows: 1.025

What would be the next step for the tank? When would I be able to add clean up crew ( which clean up crew is appropriate for my 14 gal biocube?)
Thank you!! Will send pictures later on

That's not enough, get a thawed table shrimp and put it in a media bag and throw it in the tank

Okay . Also I have purchase instant ocean:bio spira (start-up) makes marine aquariums safe and prevent new tank syndrome and I have purchase stress zyme and quick start from api . I heard with the bio-spira the fish can be put .
Also what is dripping? I'm sorry fairly new and don't want to make any mistakes that will cost me in the long run.

Fish stores make money by selling additives like that, IMHO there worthless, the best way to start a stable reef is with a proper cycle. Just add your ammonia source and let nature take it's course.

Back
Top Bottom